Is A Book Possible With Buttercream?

Decorating By bec_elias Updated 6 May 2008 , 3:12pm by bec_elias

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 8

Do you think a book cake would be possible with buttercream? I know it won't look as realistic. It's kind of an artsy cover so I thought maybe a BCT would be best for the cover. Would the pages be able to be in buttercream? Like maybe wait until it crusts and then put lines in it? They don't want the cake all fondant, but I could do the pages in fondant? What do you all think? Would it look okay?

7 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #2 of 8

I do book cakes in buttercream all the time. "I" think they look fine esp. if you let it crust well.

Beth

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #3 of 8

I'm pretty sure it's possible. Just do the viva paper towel smoothing or the Melvira method for smoothing. What about Rolled Butter Cream? I just made my first batch and I am loving it. But I'm just using it for cookies, not cake.
Are you making a cooked buttercream or the powdered sugar kind? Silvia Weinstock uses the cooked buttercream and she can make ANYTHING with it.

Good Luck!!

bec_elias Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #4 of 8

hmm, I always use basic crusting buttercream, but maybe I should consider giving something else a try. Could you still get overhanging edges with buttercream? Or would it just break off?

PS. you guys are so great!! thumbs_up.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:06am
post #5 of 8

My book cake in my photos is buttercream.

Lu

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:16am
post #7 of 8

Me too...it's on my website icon_biggrin.gif

bec_elias Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 8

Okay I tried it. It didn't turn out at all like all of your's did lol! But I am just learning. I think the FBCT was the problem. It was ok though because it was for a college class and for college students free food is free food! icon_lol.gif Thanks all for replying, I will be trying this again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%