Coral For Beach Wedding Cake

Decorating By mandytagg Updated 5 May 2008 , 7:50am by melodyscakes

mandytagg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandytagg Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #1 of 14

I'm making a beachy/undersea themed cake for my cousin's wedding. She wants pieces of dimensional coral on the sides of the tiers.

So my question is whether gum paste or fondant would be better to use in making the coral pieces? I've never worked with either one much and there are so many of you on here that are perfect at it.

Pleeeasse, anyone have suggestions? icon_smile.gif

13 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #2 of 14

I've heard of people dipping grape stems into royal icing to make coral. Not tried it myself, but its a thought. To answer your question, for sure you would need to start with gumpaste, but you would need something inside to help it hold its shape.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 14

When I make my seaside wedding cakes, I usually pipe with royal icing, then slightly airbrush or you can use just white choc. piped. If you would like to see some examples of my seaside cakes, just e-mail me.
I'm happy to share some with you.

Coral is REALLY easy, just draw a template if you don't think you can freehand it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:22am
post #4 of 14

I saw the greatest coral technique...of course after I finished making my coral out of royal icing and my cake was delivered! It's in www.yummyarts.com but you have to purchase the video.

Anyway, what they did was to take a deep bowel or small bucket and fill it with crushed ice. Melt some chocolate...any color you want...and pour it onto the ice. When you pull out the chocolate...you have coral!! It is very realistic looking coral and this is how I'll be doing mine from now on!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 14

That does sound pretty Jacqui!

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 14

I use to make candles like that, pour melted wax into a square milk carton with crushed ice. Doesn't the "coral" come out in the shape of the container? Please explain. I can't imagine this for some reason.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 14

that's a terrific idea!

ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 14

Okay, so I just rewatched the video. She takes some ice and places it in her cuisinart to crush it. Place the crushed ice in a bowl and get another bowl. Place some crushed ice in the empty bowl and pour a little bit of white chocolate onto the crushed ice. Scoop up some more ice and place on top of the chocolate you just poured and let set about a minute. Remove it and you have the coolest looking coral!

To create tunnels you place a formed peice of chocolate back into the ice standing it up at an angle and pour some melted chocolate next to it and place more ice on top until set. This will make your coral bigger and it will have some tunnels in it.

If you find the coral is too big you can break it to make it fit on your cake.

She used the chocolate disks. You can brush pearl dust over it to give it some shimmer.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 14

thanks for sharing that! that is a wonderful trick. and if you mess it up you can just eat it YUM! icon_biggrin.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

and if you mess it up you can just eat it YUM! icon_biggrin.gif

LOL..I was thinking that too!

Thanks for sharing; I love new ideas thumbs_up.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 14

I'm glad I could help! icon_wink.gif

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 14

ladyonzlake, do you find that the videos on yummyart are worth the expense?

ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 14

To be honest...if you're a beginner the video's are very helpful. I've only been a member for 1 month but I'm thinking about not renewing. The only "new" thing I've learned is the "coral". I wish they had a bit more advance techniques on there and I also wished that you didn't have to pay a $20 membership per month since you're already purchasing the videos.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:50am
post #14 of 14

I bought a coral fondant mold from sugar art.
even easier!

melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%