When Someone Wants You To Copy A Cake...

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 4 May 2008 , 6:53pm by pottedmeatchunks

pottedmeatchunks Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 13

A coworker asked me to replicate a cake I previously made for the office for her mom for mother's day. It's not really my favorite cake, it was my first ever tiered cake...do you think she'll be upset if I change some things? Her words were "I want it to look almost exactly like the cake you made before."

The other problem is the wilton plastic columns...I am moving offices and don't have an easy way to get them back from her, do you think I can stack the cake with something else that will be as sturdy but throw-away?[/img]
LL

12 replies
indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 13

I walk into Macy's and tell them I want a red dress. The sales clerk tells me "Sorry, I sold a red dress yesterday, so you can have a pink dress instead."

Take a wild a$$ guess if I'm ever buying a dress from Macy's again? icon_eek.gif

The customer wants a certain cake. I don't think it's up to you to make it different "just because". Not if they're paying for it.

When I do a drop-off cake, I try to make everything disposable so there's nothing to return. When that's not possible, my choices are (1) include the cost of the equipment on the invoice (2) just write it off.

I have frequently left 4 pillars (like in your pic) and walked away from them. Not worth the gas to get them back. Easier to spend another four bucks and get a new set next time I'm at the supply store.

fiddlesticks Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 13

If she said she wants it as close to that as you can make it ? I would not change it ! I would also just add the $ of the pillars into the cake price , If she happens to bring them back to you ( not you go get them ) I would give her the $ amount back !

CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 13

I don't advise making changes....sadly, even though it wasn't YOUR favorite cake, it is what she wants and will be paying for. As for the pillars, I would buy a new set and charge a return fee. I don't think I would want to write off the pillars on every cake I make but I assume it's a big pain in the butt to get them back....if they are that cheap, I guess I might eat the cost.

*cheep,cheep,cheep* icon_smile.gif

Solecito Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 13

You can use hidden pillars from wilton, they're less expensive and can be cut to size.

Dee1219 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 13

I do agree, I would not advise making any changes, just think how much better to your eye this will look this time around. But if your paying customer wants that specific cake, I would do exactly that icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

pottedmeatchunks Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #7 of 13

you all speak words of wisdom.. *sigh* icon_lol.gif

well on the bright side my gumpaste violets look MUCH better now with more practice behind me so it should look pretty icon_biggrin.gif

lindy01 Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #8 of 13

i'd just include the pilliars in the price. and just buy a new set with the money she pays you.

Janette Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #9 of 13

I like using the locking plate and pillars. The solution seems to let her know you have to get them back or add them to the price.

I seem to always make changes. If someone gives me a pic of a cake they want it's never exact I add my own flare to it. I haven't had a compliant yet.

Just tell them you will work with the design as close as possible.

Always take a picture of the cake after delivery to cover yourself.

Good Luck.

imakecakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #10 of 13

I don't see the harm in telling her about what your thoughts are for improving on the cake. I bet she'd be open to letting you do them. If she thinks your original design is exactly what she's looking for, then do it that way. At least this way you know.

Your cake is very pretty, I wouldn't blame her for wanting it to be like that, but I also understand the decorator's mindset that we can always do it better next time! As is always said here...we are our own worst critics.

I agree that you should charge her for the cost of the pillars and return the same amount if she gives them back. Let her know that you will do that ahead of time so the decision is hers.

imakecakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #11 of 13

Dear pottedmeatchunks,

(Where on earth did you think up THAT name?LOL!)

I just looked at your website, I like the way you have it set up and your sense of humor! Your cakes are beautiful!! I love the girly and pink cake!! I have no doubt in my mind that your customer will adore any cake you make!

kwdonlon Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:24am
post #12 of 13

So what it is that you want to change?

I agree with imacakes...you can always make suggestions for changes...and to make it an "original one-and-only-never-again" cake.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 13

imakecakes you are so sweet, thank you!! i like the idea of making change suggestions, I will try that icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%