Gumpaste-Made It, But It's Crumbly?

Decorating By SugarLover2 Updated 4 May 2008 , 2:45am by JenniferMI

SugarLover2 Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first time making it. I used Nick Lodge's recipe. I mixed it up and it was pretty hard when I was done mixing. I emptied the bowl and it was in a couple large chunks and some crumbs. I did manage to knead it into 3 balls, but it's not really soft. I am wondering if I overmixed it? I tried to follow the directions on mixing times.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 5

sounds like too much powdered sugar. You can't really over mix it, but you can add too much sugar.

try a few sprinkles of water, and kead in some shortening.

Recipes like this and fondant, rarely require all the powdered sugar. Humidity plays a large part.

SugarLover2 Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks. I remade it and just didn't mix it as much. It turned out better, but still not like I thought it would. Next time I'll add a little less PS as well. I'm letting it sit overnight and will work with it more tomorrow adding shortening if needed.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 5

When the gum paste is dry, Nick recommends adding some egg white, little bits at a time, but not water or crisco. I've done it and I find that it loosens it up but helps it maintain elasticity.

JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5

When I travel and teach classes, I always use a "tweaked" version of Nic's paste. It is wonderful! If you would like that recipe, please e-mail me

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%