Satin Icing

Baking By SWHEATLEYCAKES Updated 12 May 2008 , 2:49am by SWHEATLEYCAKES

SWHEATLEYCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 6

WHAT IS SATIN ICING AND IS IT SIMIALAR TO MMFONDANT? DOES IT TASTE AS GOOD AS WELL! I HAVE BEEN WANTING TO TRY IT FOR A WHILE NOW! icon_smile.gif [/b]

5 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 6

IMHO nothing is similar to MMFondant except marshmallows. It has a sweetness and strange spongy texture that only children truly appreciate.

Satin Ice and Pettinice are for the grownups. And many people on CC just need to try it to see what true fondant tastes like and appreciate its lovely silky texture.icon_wink.gif

I liken it to staying at the Holiday Inn with the water park with all your kids and the neighbor's children playing and splashing and having a birthday party. MMF has it's place and it's fun for the family, but for a more adult evening you need to go over to the 5 star resort, drink champagne, eat lobster and dance till 3 pm and enjoy Satin Ice on your anniversary, its for the adults. icon_wink.gif

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

I love my Satin Ice and the Pettinice that I have used for almost a year now. Considering, when I started on this Cake Art Voyage of Discovery - I thought I only had Wilton to call upon for my fondant needs...YEEECHHHHH!!!!

I haven't tried making my own fondant, I have enough going on making my own (real butter) buttercream (which I prefer to the shortening stuff which the thought of makes me ill - but as I don't do anything requiring stark white b'cream...) for fllling and crumbcoating. Until I have a larger kitchen and someone to help clean up, not going to try to make my own fondant. icon_smile.gif

There are some cake supply vendors w/in reach of me for 'just in case' and I ordered a good deal of Satin Ice from GSA (fab sale and I didn't have to drive anywhere).

It tastes good to me, I have been very happy w/the outcomes color-wise and performance-wise (except when 'operator error' did something...LOL!)

Speaking of, time to get my next cake underway.

Give the SI a try if you want, depending on the source, the price isn't too bad. Though I did encounter a discrepancy in price between two places here in Houston!
Enjoy!
Wendl

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 6

I have used Wilton, Pettinice and Satin Ice.

The only thing the Wilton fondant is good for is decorations no one will eat. icon_smile.gif

Satin Ice has a great price. While I think that both Pettinice and Satin Ice work great...I like Satin Ice better because I think it tastes better.

You should definitely try other fondants. I'm a Satin Ice fan. f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m has good prices on it...they are out of stock right now but I called and they should be getting it in a week.

SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:45am
post #5 of 6

I TOO WAS CURIOUS ABOUT THE SATIN ICING! I HAVE TRIED FONDANT ICING FROM WILTON WICH I THINK IS NASTY!! NO ONE WANTS FONDANT BECAUSE OF THAT TYPE!! THEN I STARTED MAKING MM FONDANT WICH MOST PEOPLE LOVE. BUT I WANTED TO TRY THE SATIN ICING TO SEE WHAT IT TASTE LIKE!! AND I LOVE IT. IT IS THE BOMB!! I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERY ONE. I GOT THE DARK CHOCOLATE AND IT TASTE LIKE CHOCOLATE FROM A CANDY BAR. THE BLACK VANILLA TASTE GOOD AS WELL!!! I LOVE IT AND MY FRIEND TRIED AND LOVES IT AS WELL!!! TRY IT IT'S GREAT

SWHEATLEYCAKES Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:49am
post #6 of 6

THANKS BY THE WAY FOR ALL THE ADVICE! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%