What Brand Of Oven Thermometer Would You Recommend?

Decorating By MessiET Updated 4 May 2008 , 9:16pm by peanut123

MessiET Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have a double oven and the top oven works great. The bottom oven, however, gives me lots of trouble. I have purchased 2 different brands of oven thermometers but I did not like either one! They are the kind that hang from the rack and have a dial with a needle. They take forever to register the temperature! My cakes seem to be getting too brown too quick.

I know I need to calibrate the bottom oven, but not sure what the best thermometer to use would be.

I have wondered about the probe thermometers. Are those able to read the oven temperatures?

Do you have a thermometer that you really like?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

3 replies
peanut123 Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

The Taylor Classic Oven Guide Model 5921 thermometer is the oven thermometer recommended by Cooks Illustrated Magazine. They recently conducted a rigerous comparison test. It costs less than $15.


I like the probe thermometers, but they cost more.

MessiET Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 4
Originally Posted by peanut123

I like the probe thermometers, but they cost more.

Can a probe thermometer be used to check your oven temperature?

peanut123 Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, you can use a probe thermometer, provided it covers the temperature you want to measure (some only measure food temperature).

What brand/model do you have in-mind?

Make sure it is designed to be placed inside the oven for extended periods of time and you can read the temperature without opening the oven door.

Quote by @%username% on %date%