Pricing Horror On Purse Cakes!

Business By costumeczar Updated 4 May 2008 , 3:19pm by Dee1219

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, I got an email from a coordinator asking about purse cakes and mini cakes for a party. After going back and forth I told her I couldn't do it because I'm booked, but if she gave me a budget and a number that she needed I might be able to refer her to someone else. So she said that she wanted 150 mini purses (of a specific brand, so they have to look a certain way) and one real-sized one for the guest of honor. FOR $300!!! After I finished with my heart attack I emailed her back and gave her some cost-cutting options, but I also told her that if I was going to do them I'd be using fondant and charging about $20 each for the little ones since they're a ton of work, and about $150 for the big one. I feel bad for her now because she's going to have to tell her client that she can't get what she wants...Don't ever let me get the idea that I want to be a coordinator!

10 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 11

well at least she has been educated now. she should know these things as a coordinator, or at least have an idea. i think your prices were right on and you did give her options.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 11

I wouldn't feel one little bit bad, annoyed, possibly, that she promised these types of cakes om that budget.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 11

you have nothing to feel bad about
just because they have unrealistic expectations

IcingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingSugar Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 11

sweetcakes is right - as a coordinator she should know that's like champagne on a Kool-Aid budget! I might do 150 cupcakes for $300, but that's it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 11

Two bucks apiece for a custom designed dessert?

Twinkie Budget Bride Syndrome!! icon_eek.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 11

That is outrageous....good for you for sticking to your guns! icon_wink.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Two bucks apiece for a custom designed dessert?

Twinkie Budget Bride Syndrome!! icon_eek.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:48am
post #9 of 11

some people just think cakes are made out of thin air.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 11

OH, Believe me, I don't feel bad for the twinkie budget woman, I feel bad for the coordinator who took on a client who wants 150 custom cakes for $300! Can you imagine the conversations she must have with this woman? "Yes, I understand that you want a fully-catered , sit-down meal at the Ritz-Carlton for your 150 guests, but you're probably going to have to pay more than $5 a person..."

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 11

I do agree, people just don't realize what goes into making a cake. I agree, $20 for a mini purse and at least $150 for the big one. I would even do $30 for a little one, oh my gosh the details!! Can you imagine the work! Good for you for saying no, I really need to work on that one myself!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%