Please Double Check My Math On Servings...

Decorating By lara3teach Updated 5 May 2008 , 2:11am by mydelights

lara3teach Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 18

Could someone please let me know if I figured this correctly...I'm making 12"-10"-6" rounds, single layer (2" cake torted and filled) and came up with about 53 servings according to the Wilton chart. Does that seem right?

On a separate note, I'd love feedback about these sizes together. It's for my niece's baptism and I'm planning on centering the 10" on the 12" and then off-setting the 6" towards the back of the 10" so that I can write the message on top of the 10". I have a ceramic topper for the very top. I played around with my cake pans for a while on this to come up with a good design and the right servings (need 50). I'd appreciate thoughts on this.

TIA!

Lara

17 replies
leily Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 18

That would be correct as long as you only cut your pieces 2x2x2 If someone else is cutting it and they cut bigger then you won't have that many servings.

grama_j Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 18

Or what if someone says " that is sooo good, may I have another slice?" I hate to cut things that close.....( no pun intended )

chocolatecake Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 18

I'm doing a similair size but 4" heights of 12" 10" 8" and have calculated its enough to serve 60 generously

Am I calculating correctly?

Also any help with how I can diagram the slicing and serving sizes would be helpful as I am not going to there to cut and serve

Thanks!

lara3teach Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 18

Thank you for the responses! I will be there to cut and serve the cake, so I don't have to worry about someone else cutting it too large. In addition, I know that my SIL and several of her relatives don't ever eat cake icon_confused.gif , so I should be okay on servings. I just wanted to be sure I calculated correctly. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Chocolatecake, I would think you would be able to serve even more than 60 generously with those sizes. I think the Wilton site has cake cutting guides that could provide a diagram for you to give your customer. HTH.

indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecake

I'm doing a similair size but 4" heights of 12" 10" 8" and have calculated its enough to serve 60 generously

Am I calculating correctly?

Also any help with how I can diagram the slicing and serving sizes would be helpful as I am not going to there to cut and serve

Thanks!



Here's my website where I have pics on how to cut a tiered cake to achieve the Wilton wedding servings. Print this out and give it to them.
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

And a 2-layer 12/10/8 will serve 118, per the wilton wedding chart, which is what I go by (and I frequently have guests ask for a smaller piece). See the cut pieces of cake on plates in the above link....they are good dessert size pieces of cake.

CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 18

I am confused - is each layer 4" of cake and filling or is each layer 2" of cake?

grama_j Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I am confused - is each layer 4" of cake and filling or is each layer 2" of cake?




No, it is easily explained at Debi's web page...... I will mess it up if I try to tell you..... I give all my clients a print out of these instructions.... Makes things sooo much easier.....

mydelights Posted 4 May 2008 , 6:23am
post #9 of 18

Here's my website where I have pics on how to cut a tiered cake to achieve the Wilton wedding servings. Print this out and give it to them.
http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

Thank you so much Debi for sharing your site. I've visited and found it helpful.

I've been asked to quote for a round wedding cake which will have to serve 300-350 guests. Can anyone help by telling what sizes of cake should I make? I've referred to Wilton chart and wedding cake book. A 5-tier of 6", 8", 10", 12" and 14" (all with 4" height) can only serve 230 guests according to Wilton's chart!

indydebi Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:08am
post #10 of 18

Add a 16" round and it serves 318.

How many people did she invite? My 60% Rule says if she is expecting 300-350 people, did she REALLY invite 500-600?

Also I think a 50 person span is pretty big. If one of my brides told me a headcount with that big of a span, I'd know immediately that she has no idea how many to expect and she has no control on her headcount .... meaning she's overpaying for just about everything ... too much food, too many tables, too many linens, too many centerpieces, too many cans of soda, etc.

mydelights Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you Debi. That's great advice. icon_smile.gif

chocolatecake Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks IndyDeb!

Just to clarify because I'm still a bit confused;

The Wilton Chart is for cakes that are 2" Tall so if you are doing a 4" tall cake you double the Wilton suggested serving sizes serving amounts

So Indy Deb- your servings are :
4 Tall x 2" wide x 1" length?

Also aren't Wedding slices traditionaly smaller than "Party "sizes- do you cut all of your events that size?

Thanks!

mydelights Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecake

Thanks IndyDeb!

The Wilton Chart is for cakes that are 2" Tall so if you are doing a 4" tall cake you double the Wilton suggested serving sizes serving amounts

So Indy Deb- your servings are :
4 Tall x 2" wide x 1" length?

Also aren't Wedding slices traditionaly smaller than "Party "sizes- do you cut all of your events that size?




I think the Wilton Chart is for 2" tall pan but 2 layer cakes which should be 4" tall cake. If you look at their 'Wedding Cake Cutting Guide' each slice should be 4"x2"x1". I notice Debi's guide on her site is also 4"x2"x1". I was once told by a CC member that this is the standard size for wedding cake. Would appreciate if you can confirm this, Debi icon_smile.gif

Also, what is the standard party size?

beachcakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #14 of 18

I'm not Debi, but you are correct!

Party size slices are 1.5x2x4 http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/party_2inch.cfm

mydelights Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #15 of 18

Thank you beachcakes.

Do you know why party cake is slightly bigger per serving than wedding cake?

beachcakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #16 of 18

I believe it's because at a wedding there is a lot of food - hors d'oeuvres, dinner, drinks, and then cake. Whereas, at a party, often the cake is the focal point.

I could be way off base, but that's how I explain it to myself! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydelights

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecake

Thanks IndyDeb!

The Wilton Chart is for cakes that are 2" Tall so if you are doing a 4" tall cake you double the Wilton suggested serving sizes serving amounts

So Indy Deb- your servings are :
4 Tall x 2" wide x 1" length?

Also aren't Wedding slices traditionaly smaller than "Party "sizes- do you cut all of your events that size?




I think the Wilton Chart is for 2" tall pan but 2 layer cakes which should be 4" tall cake. If you look at their 'Wedding Cake Cutting Guide' each slice should be 4"x2"x1". I notice Debi's guide on her site is also 4"x2"x1". I was once told by a CC member that this is the standard size for wedding cake. Would appreciate if you can confirm this, Debi icon_smile.gif




beachcakes already covered it, but yes, this is correct.

I've also observed non-wedding functions to see how people react to the cake size servings. My granddaughter's 5th birthday ... lots of kids and adults. I cut the cake 1x2x4 out of habit. I watched .... it was perfect size for the little kids (are most of or at least a LOT of your birthday cakes for KIDS?). Adults were a-ok with it.

My daughter's 30th birthday. A sheet cake with the Beatles "HELP" on it. It was a cake-only party (no cook out, no other food). I didn't tell her how to cut the cake, but it was interesting to note she cut them in 2x2x2 squares. I asked everyone later "Did everyone have enough cake? Did Christine cut them too big or too small?" Everyone said it was just right.

People hear "one inch" and they think "Paper thin". It's not.

----------------------
Traditionally, the sharing of the wedding cake was a token thing. A loaf of bread was broken over the bride's head and the guests clammored for the crumbs that fell to the ground, as it was considered good luck fertility-wise. So when you get right down to it, a piece of wedding cake represents a "crumb" of the actual cake! icon_lol.gif

mydelights Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #18 of 18

[/quote]Traditionally, the sharing of the wedding cake was a token thing. A loaf of bread was broken over the bride's head and the guests clammored for the crumbs that fell to the ground, as it was considered good luck fertility-wise. So when you get right down to it, a piece of wedding cake represents a "crumb" of the actual cake! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Thank you Debi for the info, especially this last bit icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%