My Mm Fondant Didn't Work Well

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 22 May 2008 , 1:25am by yummymummy

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 15

So was up till 5 am this morning trying to put my mm fondant on a paisley cake.. And every time i went to go move the fondant from the table ( generiously covered in corn startch ) (also tryed nothing and conf sugar also tried putting more crisco in in) It would break.. What in the world happen? I follwed that recipe to a tee.. And so i had to do it in 3 sections which to me didn't look to good.. And it was still cracking on the cake.. Can anyone help me.. I don't ever what to use that stuff again icon_sad.gif

Below is a pic of the final cake
LL

14 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 15

Your cake is lovely, especially given the problems that you had with the fondant.

Many will disagree with me, but for consistently good results, I use commercially made fondant, usually Satin Ice. If I find a fondant that's a bit soft, I mix in some Wilton fondant in order to firm it up but so as not to ruin the taste of the "good stuff".

Pre-made fondants are designed to maintain stretch and to stay moist and I find that hard to beat. I roll out on vinyl with a swipe of crisco, so I never go thru the cycle of dry it out (cornstarch), moisten it up (add crisco), nothings working (add powdered sugar, nuke it, etc.). I roll it out, pick it up with my rolling pin, and put it on the cake--no mess, no guess.

Just my honest .02 (and I have made MMF before coming to this conclusion).

HTH
Rae

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 15

What recipe did you use? In general, I have found that the amount of ps called for is wrong, I use about 1 1/2 lbs (this can depend on where you live), and it also helps to add about 4 tbsp of corn syrup. hth

JoHannaBell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoHannaBell Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 15

i always use this recipe
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows \\
2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds icing sugar
½ cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

it always works out goodfor me plus it tastes really good. i like it because its simple... icon_smile.gif i used it on this cake...
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:00am
post #5 of 15

Hi JoHannaBell,

I just started course 3 last night and bought the Wilton fondant (only thing available here that I know of) and did not care for it at all. I would like to try the recipe you mentioned and was wondering if you could give me the directions on how to make it. Also, could you tell me what size cake this would cover? You can PM me if you like! Thanks!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:53am
post #6 of 15

xstitcher, the recipe is in the RECIPE SECTION here. Just do a search for it, but remember not to add all the powdered sugar.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:50am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

xstitcher, the recipe is in the RECIPE SECTION here. Just do a search for it, but remember not to add all the powdered sugar.

Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

SaraW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraW Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 15

I have also found that I don't use all of the powdered sugar called for, and I add a couple tablespoons of corn syrup. If it is breaking and cracking I just nuke it for a few minutes and it usually helps a lot. I also grease my mat with crisco instead of using a ton of cornstarch or ps.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 15

I use Rhonda's Ultimate adn have never had issues. I also toss in a couple spoonfuls of Crisco in with the MMs before nuking it. For best results, let it rest overnight (very well wrapped). You can nuke it the microwave for a couple of seconds to make it easier to use.

Also, did you just try picking it up or rolling it up on a rolling pin? Picking it up will not work. It must be transferred to the cake with a rolling pin (this is the same for all fondant).

Here's a very thorough MMF thread for all your questions.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-521083-mmf.html

tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 15

I agree with most everyone else, I swipe a good coating of shortning over my counter, and always use a rolling pin or pvc tube to roll it onto to transfer to the cake, I have long nails so picking up a large sheet of fondant just doesn't work

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 15

Did you let the MMF rest overnight? I've found that my MMF is too soft to work with right after it's made, but if I let it rest overnight, it firms up enough to work with. I roll it out on crisco. I'll use corn starch when I'm making flowers, but crisco works best for rolling a big piece for a cake.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 15

You can also roll your fondant onto a mat and then if it's not sticking to the mat you can slide it off onto the cake. I prefer the rolling pin method myself. If you don't have a big rolling pin or piece of pipe though then I would do the mat method.
Jen...

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:24pm
post #13 of 15

I've tried MMF and Michele Foster's Fondant and I have to say IMO that Michele's is soooo much better! The taste is wonderful and it's easty to work w/. It's also cheaper to make than buying it pre made. Once you get the hang of how much ps you need to add for where you live, it's a breeze! I highly recommend it! Here's a pic of my first cake done in MFF:
LL

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #14 of 15

yummymummy - That is an absolutely beautiful cake. I love the colors and your fondant is so smooth.

Sorry I can't help with the MMF; I only use Satin Ice.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #15 of 15

Thanks! I have to thank my hubby for helping me knead it! Gotta love my strong man!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%