Cake Ball ?

Baking By sambugjoebear Updated 7 May 2008 , 8:33pm by joy5678

sambugjoebear Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:07am
post #1 of 11

has anyone tried using sundae toppings (i.e. hot fudge, caramel, strawberry, pineapple) as a binder for cake balls? i was thinking about trying it but was looking 4 feedback if someone else has already done so. thanks!

10 replies
craftyone65 Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:54am
post #2 of 11

I've used hot fudge and caramel..they both turned out great!! Tried the creamer that others have suggested but didn't care for it. For me the white or yellow cake isn't near as good as the chocolate.

Newatdecorating Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 11

I just tried strawberry cake balls. Used a recipe which called for white cake mix with frozen strawberries. The icing was powdered sugar, cream cheese and frozen strawberries. They tasted great, but had a hard time forming the balls. Wanted to think it had to do with the liquid from the strawberries.

I don't think the cream cheese had anything to do with it, because I made red velvet cake balls from scratch and used the cream cheese icing for the binder for those. They were great!

So, you would probably turn out using the sundae toppings. You wouldn't have the liquid like with using fresh fruit.

sambugjoebear Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 11

Well, I made my first batch of cake balls on Saturday. I had leftover chocolate cake, so I made half chocolate with caramel (used the ice cream topping) and half chocolate with chocolate hazelnut bc as a binder. Both turned out really well icon_smile.gif My DH says that I should sell them as candy lol. They were a lot richer than what we were expecting.

joy5678 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #5 of 11

I haven't made any cake balls yet so I was wondering if they can be put on lollipop sticks & dipped in chocolate, then maybe wrapped & tied with a bow or something & sold like a lollipop? How about "lolliballs" or "cakepops"? icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 11

Sure you can! I haven't done it, but here is a picture of some.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1188706

joy5678 Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 11

YEA!! That is exactly what I'm talking about. Yours are soooo cute in the cup. Tied with ribbon really adds to the look. I will definitely be making these tomorrow out of my leftovers. What kind of choc do dip them in? What flavors do you find that others like the best & what do you mix them with? Sorry so many questions but this looks like so much fun & (profit???) Thanks

Newatdecorating Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 11

The ones in the cup are not mine. I agree, they are cute and I have them as one of my favorites.

Read the above post that I wrote to see what I've done so far. I use almond bark to dip mine. Another flavor that I am wanting to try is German chocolate cake balls.

Check out this website and you can read more about cake balls and also get lots of other ideas.

http://bakerella.blogspot.com/

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 11

I took someone's advice from here and call them 'cake truffles' so they know they are richer then just cake. I have used everything under the sun as a binder but the creamer seems to be the most popular.

I love the idea of trying a strawberry cake - that sounds really yummy!

Newatdecorating Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 11

Oh, I like the idea of calling them cake truffles!

The strawberry was really good. However, they just didn't seem to turn out as well as the red velvet as far as the texture. I think it was a combination of the liquid from the strawberries and using just a little to much icing for the binder. However, they tasted great!

By the way CakeDiva73 - I believe you are the most entertaining person on CC right now......Can't wait to read your future post!

joy5678 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the bakerella site, it's great. HA- I got so excited about cake ball dippin I forgot that those were not yours. Anyway, thanks this is fun. Luv CC & all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%