Help, Please. Rolled Buttercream Figures

Decorating By zamku Updated 3 May 2008 , 6:22pm by BlakesCakes

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:07am
post #1 of 3

I am new to cake decorating and tried to make small rolled BC figures. After they dried, I put them on my cupcakes, but they came apart. One was a simple heart which broke after a while . The multicolored figures also came apart. And the next day the figures which did remain turned very soft. What was I doing wrong. It would be nice if someone could help me figure out.

2 replies
alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #2 of 3

I've never seen anyone on this site use rolled bc for figures. Generally it's always fondant or gumpaste. Could it be that rolled bc is just not a good medium for anything other than covering a cake.

BTW, I've been really curious about rolled buttercream. Does it taste like bc? Feel like fondant? I've been "afraid" to try it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 3

I use RBC to cover really odd shaped things like balls. It doesn't really lend itself to any type of modeling or figure work. You need the strength of the gums added to fondant or gum paste to stand up to gravity. You can cut out shapes and apply them immediately to something covered in RBC, but that's it.

RBC tastes nothing like fondant and the texture is much softer--it melts in your mouth rather than your having to chew it. It can be tooth achingly sweet, though. It's trickier to work with (I find that it has to be well chilled and rolled out between parchment paper), but for those specialty items, it works very well for me.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%