Buttercream Dream Trouble...

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 3 May 2008 , 1:19pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

JaneDee Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:04am
post #1 of 5

Ahead of time, I am sorry for the lengthy question I ramble a lot, so sorry. icon_redface.gif
Anyway I have been trying to figure these roses out for the longest time and when I finally thought I had an icing that would work, I was wrong. I just finished wilton course one... The class BC wouldn't work, nor did the already made canned icing from Wilton, for some reason it always seem to blur/"melt" together to form one big blob of icing. I really had my hopes up when I found the BC Dream recipe because I had it in my recipe box for so long and finally tried it just now... (Again sorry for the lengthy email-as my husband says I write people novels to get out just one point)...
I have to work tomorrow from 9-5 and was hoping to make a cake for someone after work and wanted to get this icing thing figured out a little better ahead of time.
To the point... I don't know what I did wrong, I did everything exactly as it called, although I was about a tablespoon short of butter I don't see how it affected what happened to the end result...
I tried a rose and it looked like a big offwhite blob again. It came out so thick of the tip (never have I had icing come out that much before of the tip-104) It is like a big bowl of soup.
Does anyone out there have any good advice for me, I want to learn these roses and practice them so much it bugs me all the time, but I cannot do so until I find an icing that will work for me.
(Perhaps also icing that will hold up well to warm temps because transporting my cakes and just my kitchen let alone gets pretty warm these days w/o AC icon_sad.gif )

Sorry again for the rambling on >_< and thank you so much for reading and hopefully helping me out.

4 replies
Trixyinaz Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I use BC Dream all the time and have not had any issues. It sounds like you are making it too thin. For my roses and flowers, I add less milk....around 4 tablespoons and depending on the weather, I may need to even add less than that. If the icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar to thicken it up. The roses in my gallery are with BC dream icing, just made thicker. Initially my icing was too thin so my instructor had some powdered sugar and we mixed it up so it was pretty thick....then my roses looked perfect. I hope that helps!

korensmommy Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the comment on my BD roses in my photos!
Here is a trick that I found on CC that I used for them.
I have a small cutting board and when I make the centers, I pop them in the freezer for a few minutes. I take them out 1 by 1, make the petals then put them back in the freezer to harden before I put them on the cake.
I also add a little piping gel to the icing and I do make the icing a little thicker.
You can probably search the forum for a more detailed explanation.
Good luck, they have always been a pain for me to do too!

jenbenjr Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 5

Hi........I use Buttercream Dream all the time and I never had a problem with my roses. I have never taken a class so I don't know what your instructor has told you but it too sounds to me like you have your icing way too thin. Heat and humidity can also make the problem worse. I always put my roses in the freezer also. I have never just put the cone in there first but that sounds like a good idea if it is hot in your house. Add less milk to the recipe next time and if it is still too thin, try adding a little more powdered sugar. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with Trixyinaz, it sounds like your bc is too thin and needs to be thickened/made stiffer by adding more powdered sugar. Also, some people have problems working with bc when they have 'hot hands'.

You might try putting your piping bag into the fridge or freezer for a short time in between using it; for example make a rose or two and then put the bag in the refrigerator and see if it stiffens up a bit. In this case it's easier to have two bags set up (obviously you'd need two 104 tips also) and just alternate the bags: make two roses, put the bag in fridge and use the other bag for the next two roses.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%