Out Of My Comfort Zone......

Decorating By psurrette Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:00am by FromScratch

psurrette Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #1 of 17

Is it that bad? I did a what was supposed to be topsy turvy............
I still have to finish the red layer with a white stipe and anitials of the boy.
and 12 cupcakes.
Is it that bad? I just feel like it's not my best work

16 replies
pamela0588 Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 17

Oh my gosh, are you kidding????
That cake is AWESOME!!! Can I please steal your great design idea for my son's baseball team?

mssweetie24 Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:48am
post #3 of 17

Why in the world would you think it was bad that is the cutest cake icon_biggrin.gif

lomikesa Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #4 of 17

I think it looks great!

step0nmi Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:35am
post #5 of 17

ok...I think this cake is cute! maybe you are just bothered by something else? Is it something on the cake? was it too easy? Maybe you have too many accents towards the top of the cake? If you are bothered then maybe you can take off the baseball bats that are on the wires and see if you like the cake then...that is the only thing I would think is bothering you...it may just be a composition issue!

I think the cake looks very nice and professional! thumbs_up.gif

psurrette Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:48am
post #6 of 17

Thank you for your support I really needed it on this cake. I dotn know what my problem is with it. I think I was thinking it would be taller? I have to say it wasnt easyI felt like I was walking down a blinded road. I guess you can say I was out of my comfort zoneon this one.
Thank you for you nice comments I feel better now

step0nmi Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 17

OH! I can see what you mean about how you thought it would be taller!

Is this your first one? I think you did a great job for a first, if it is. Maybe next time you might want to not make your tiers at such a slant...then it would be taller! Still topsy turvy but not too much to bother your eye.

Good luck! I think they will LOVE the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

psurrette Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 17

So, I took out the bats on the top and like it better.
The finished cake is in my album
Thank you guys!

JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 17

Stop beating yourself up.... It's GREAT!!!!!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #10 of 17

what are you talking about? when i first read your post i was slowly readying myself up for a disaster. BUT IT'S NOT!

it's awesome! i love the colors and it IS a topsy turvy! well done!!!!

CarolAnn Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #11 of 17

Paula, the cake looks great!!! It was probably a good move to lose a little of the accents just to keep the focus on your turvy construction. You did a pretty impressive job in my book lady! The colors are vibrant and the red and blue rope border looks perfect. I haven't checked out the final product but I will in a minute. Be proud cause "YOU DID A TURVY and YOU DID GOOD!!! Bet the boy who got this hadn't seen anything like it before!

Way to go!!

wgoat5 Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #12 of 17

Paula... Can I slap you? LOL.. That cake is beautiful (I will NEVER do a TT cake icon_sad.gif NEVER EVER NEVER EVER)!!! I think we all have cakes we just don't care for. I have several. The colors I don't like to work with.. a shape.. something.. My last cake I uploaded was a CRAPPY cake... I hated the colors.. I cried.. I thought well I'll never get ANY business off of this one.. but ya know what? Who cares LOL...Just that one cake can cause our bp to rise

So relax girlfriend you did GOOOOOOOD icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:19am
post #13 of 17
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Paula... Can I slap you? LOL.. That cake is beautiful

So relax girlfriend you did GOOOOOOOD icon_biggrin.gif

I'll second that motion Christi!

I just looked at your finished cake pic Paula and you did an amazing job! icon_razz.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:55am
post #14 of 17

Wow Paula!! It's awesome!! My dd is graduating next week & she wants a topsy turvy cake. I'm toooo scared to do it!! I think I'll talk Mac into doing it. icon_smile.gif You did an awesome job!!

miss_sweetstory Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:13am
post #15 of 17

What a great cake!!! Getting out of our comfort zone is so hard...but you did a terrific job.

I've never attempted a TT (no guts), but I remember someone here saying that they seem to look the best when the tier sizes are at least 3 inches different (e.g. instead of 6,8,10 it would be 6,9,12). I guess it appears more dramatic to the eye.

I'm curious as to if this is true. What were your tier sizes?

kkswmmr114 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #16 of 17

Your topsy turvy looks great!! I have never attempted one... but I have heard that they tend to look better when you add more layers to one tier. That way the tiers look taller and more precarious. I have never tried it but that is just what I had hears. Maybe that is what you mean by thinking it was going to be taller. Hope this helps!!

Anyways... I think it looks fantastic!! Really cute design...

FromScratch Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #17 of 17

I think you did a great job too Paula!! Don't be so hard on yourself! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%