Major Cake Cracking.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 4 May 2008 , 5:04am by BakingGirl

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 3

Earlier today I baked chocolate cake, a new recipe that I have not tried before. I baked 2x10" square and 2x6" round. The two 10" squares really cracked coming out of the pan. One cracked right the way through on the diagonal and on the other one side cracked off. After torting and piecing the cakes together again I have put them in the freezer. I am not sure if I should go ahead and use the cakes. I am doing them for a friend's daughter's birthday as a favor so I am not getting paid. The cakes were expensive to bake as it has vast amounts of good quality chocolate in them. So my inclination is to glue everything together with chocolate BC and hope for the best.

The cakes will ultimately be covered with fondant which is the good news. The downside is that the 6" is supposed to be stacked on top, and I have to drive for an hour to get to the venue.

What to do, what to do?

2 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 3

i hope i am not too late. chocolate cakes tends to crumble. since you are not getting paid, i would glue it together and stick in the freezer to secure it together. then cover in fondant and keep in the fridge or freezer to really keep it together. i would not stack the cake until you got to the venue, especially since it is an hour away.

you should be fine, and no one will care if their slices are crumbly, they are about to eaten delicious choc. cake, and crumbs will the last of their concerns! Good Luck!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 3

Thanks kimberlina25, no you were not too late with your advice. I made another 10" white chocolate layer today which I am going to put at the top and the bottom so that I have at least some solid cake which hopefully will hold the crumbs in a bit better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%