Non-Trans Fat Crisco Tips?

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 4 May 2008 , 12:10am by JenniferMI

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

I know that this has been addressed before, but of course I didn't read the posts. Does anyone have any tips on getting the buttercream with the no trans fat crisco stiffer? Even when I add less milk (I also used whipping cream and half and half this time and it didn't make a difference) it won't stay as stiff as the old stuff. I'm a little worried about the summer heat that's coming and how this new stuff will be affected.

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

Here's the icing I've used for 25 years. I never noticed a difference in my icing at all when zero trans was introduced. It was only by reading CC threads that I learned anyone was having a problem at all. Holds up and crusts VERY well. http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks, I'll try the dream whip. Your recipe actually uses more crisco than mine, so if the dream whip makes it hold up well then it should help mine out, too. I hadn't noticed a difference in my icing until a few weeks ago, which is when it started to heat up here. It just seems to be softer than usual, regardless of whether I reduce the amount of milk in it.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 6

Debi -

Can you leave this recipe sit out at room temp a few days? Even with the milk in it?

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Debi -

Can you leave this recipe sit out at room temp a few days? Even with the milk in it?

Jen icon_smile.gif

As I learned here on CC, the sugar and milk stablize each other. Yes, I leave it sit on my counters for days and days....

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 6

Debi - Is this recipe gritty in the least? I tried it once.... but I think I added the creamora mixture instead of milk and it was gritty. What percent milk do you use?

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%