Here's A Tip For Getting Evenly Baked Cakes!!!

Decorating By diane Updated 4 May 2008 , 12:25am by notjustcake

diane Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

i was watching sugar rush, don't know how many of you watch that, but anyway they were talking to the cakeman raven at his shop. he showed one of his tips on getting an evenly baked cake. he put a heating core in the pan and then place pennies wrapped in foil in the heating core and then filled the pan with cake batter. i thought...well there's a neat tip. so...i thought i'd share it with you guys. icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif
i haven't tried it yet, so if anyone does, let us know how it turns out.
oh...you have to have a heating core, not a flower nail.

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

The only problem is the hole in the middle of the cake. Typically, the metal of the core is enough to encourage even baking. That way, you can fill the core with batter and when it is done, the piece can be used to fill the hole.

I have to wonder what he does to fill the 2" hole in the middles.

CakeDiva73 Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

I use the flower nail technique......how does the core thing work? I know you fill with with batter and pop it into place after the cake comes out but am I understanding that on the Sugar Rush show they filled the core with pennies? I am lost too as to what they did with the big hole in the cake, lol. Or did I misunderstand?

Either way, thanks for the tip! I always find the best tips and tricks here from you guys at CC icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #4 of 6

i watch sugar rush too! but we get delayed episodes. i loved the one with Colette peters and bronwen icon_biggrin.gif

swoozie Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 6

My BF and I worked on a cake together. She had the cake baked before i arrived. it sank in the middle and was just not done. So we started over. This time I had her take a jigger ( taller than a shot glass) and had her insert it in the middle. we filled it about 3/4 the way full of water. Didnt think of batter. (duh)
Using the same cake recipe same pan and same amount of time the cake came out perfect. we filled the cake hole with left over cake that was done from the first time. ( edged 2 inches or so was done)
This was using a 1/2 sheet size pan.
we always have fun even when we are screwing things up!
Swoozie

notjustcake Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

I saw that too and thought the same things the idea for the hole is to fill it with cake batter as well so you have the cake and fill the hole again with cake, it didn't make sense to me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%