Stacking A Cake...no Dowls?

Decorating By heycupcake Updated 4 May 2008 , 8:25pm by heycupcake

heycupcake Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 5

can i do this? im trying to get the look of an adobe house and i dot want the bottom layer to be even ---but then how do i put on the top layer?

heeeeellllp!

this cake has to be done by 3 tomorrow.
im using bc...ill attach the pic of the cake that im getting an idea from...though not exactly the same...
LL

4 replies
heycupcake Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 5

the other thing is..i need to assemble this before delivery!

should i just put the 6 in on top with no board and then put a dowl through the whole cake?

hmmm???
im so lost right now... icon_redface.gif

lorijom Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 5

Unless I'm misunderstanding you...you have to put a board between the two tiers and dowels. The lower cake itself can't support an upper tier unless each tier is only about 2 inches high, otherwise it's too much weight.

What you may need to do about the uneven look you want for the bottom tier is to use a semi-topsy turvy technique...leave a level space the size and location for the top tier to be placed onto the bottom tier. Do your uneven technique around the edges of that...then when ready just dowel the level area and place your top tier into place. I hope that made any sense icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif I can think what I mean but not necessarily explain it....

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:01am
post #4 of 5

Your top tier is just off set....not unevenicon_smile.gif
You still need to dowel it. Using straws will be fine. Just mark the bigger tier where you want the other tier to go.....use a cake board cut the the exact size of the upper tier; place a straw at each corner of that mark - just inside the marks like 1" in.
Then put the small tier on that cut board and place it where you marked the cake (& placed the straws/dowels).
You don't have to use a dowel thru the two tiers. It depends on how much of a ride it is going to take - short; none at all; long; over smooth roads (WHERE in the world can I find any???) or very bummpy, not paved?
I have transported many, many cakes w/o a center dowel so I know it can be done.

heycupcake Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 5

thanks to both of you! i ended up finding the most even spot on my lower cake and maing that where i put the next layer---with a cardboard and dowls. thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%