Confused

Decorating By wishy Updated 2 May 2008 , 11:01pm by vteventrider

wishy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wishy Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 3

I'm very new at baking/decorating and I'm confused on a few things, maybe someone can clarify for me please.

1.) I've been adding instant snack pudding to my mixes, am I supposed to be adding the dry boxed pudding instead?

2.) Do you need to crumb coat before you freeze your cakes?

3.) I was told not to refridgerate cakes with buttercream frosting then but from what I'm reading here it's okay to refridgerate decorated cakes.

Thanks so much - I can use all the advice I can get.

2 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 3

Hello, and welcome!!
Yes, it is dry pudding that you add to a cake.
I crumb coat, then put in the refridgerator, and then put my final coat on.
To keep my decorated cake in the fridge I put it in the box, and let it come to temp in the box before taking it out...
HTH

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 3

Welcome to CC!

I can't help with mixes, but like foxymomma if I crumbcoat it is into the fridge and I keep my decorated cakes in the fridge but either wrapped gently in paper towels or the box to keep moisture away. Always come to room temp before eating though.

When I freeze my cakes I do not crumbcoat first. I take them while still warm and wrap them tight in plastic wrap then foil. By doing it while they are still warm it traps in the moisture so when it thaws there is still moisture in the cake (but I bake from scratch so I am always way crazy about keeping my cakes moist). With a box mix you would probably have even more luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%