Help Us...chocolate Filling With Fondant

Decorating By Jenn8137 Updated 3 May 2008 , 3:50am by sugarMomma

Jenn8137 Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 11

icon_sad.gif We have a wedding cake to deliver tomorrow and one of the layers has chocolate filling. We can not freeze the fondant and don't have refrigaration for the cake. What can we use for the chocolate filling and still be edible and not spoil?

10 replies
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 11

How about hot fudge topping for ice cream?

cupcakemkr Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 11

How about a ganache made with coconut milk instead of cream/milk?

1 lb. Bittersweet Chocolate
12 oz. Coconutmilk solids (can use canned coconut milk)
6 oz. cane sugar (optional)
1 tsp Vanilla

In double burner slowly melt chocolate. When chocolate is no longer chunky & is easily stirred , remove from heat & double boiler. Let cool [luke warm to touch] . Add the coconut solids and vanilla & sweetener. Whip until incorporated and proper consistency. Allow to cool at room temp.

Recipe from (added space between http:// and abstract so would not be removed): http://

leah_s Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 11

What's wrong with chocolate bc? Just beat in some cocoa powder.

melysa Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #5 of 11

ganache if done properly, can be left out safely at cool room temp (not above 70 is ideal) for up to two days.

approx. 4 cups:

2 cups good quality semi sweet chocolate
2 cups (one pint) heavy whipping cream

bring cream to a near boil whisking constantly. place chocolate in a metal or glass bowl, pour cream on top. allow to SIT for 2 minutes, THEN whisk to combine until melted smooth. cover with plastic and chill for approx one hour, perhaps longer depending on your weather etc. Then, whip up just like making whipped cream using cold beaters and it will thicken to a nice spreading consistency. use immediately or refrigerate leftovers. when using refrigerated leftovers , allow it to come to room temp, and rewhip.

enjoy, its DELICIOUS! easy and safe.

melysa Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 11

ps. the reason ganache is safe, is because the boiling process will pasturize the cream and the equal ratios of fat and sugar act as a preserver, which prohibits bacteria from growing for a short time period under the proper temperature conditions.

lorijom Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 11

I agree with Melysa, ganache can sit out safely for a few days.

MacsMom Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #8 of 11

I don't know if you can get it, but I use chocolate Bettercreme -- it is like a whipped topping that can be left out for 5 days. I mix in chocolate pudding to make it more like mousse. You can buy it at at Smart&Final and some Sam's Clubs (ask the bakery dept.)..

MacsMom Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #9 of 11

I forgot ask, why can't you freeze the fondant? I've frozen a few completely decorated fondant cakes and there has never been a problem--you just have to allow several hours for the condensation to dry without touching the cake.

cocobean Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #10 of 11

I have frozen fondant covered cakes before. I learned my lesson about defrosting. Always make time to defrost in the refridgerator. This way the cake defrosts slowly enough that the extra moisture is absorbed slowly into the cake (which always adds to the moistness of the cake. A good thing) and the fondant doesn't get shiny wet looking. Not a good look. But maybe you were saying you couldn't freeze because you don't have a freezer available? Anyway, the above suggestions for bc filling or ganache sound great!

sugarMomma Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:50am
post #11 of 11

I just made a whipped ganache filled fondant cake using Melysa's recipe (Dee-licious!) It's gonna sit out overnight for delivery tomorrow, and I will at the wedding to eat the cake. I'll let you know if there are any problems.

I'm just hoping my fondant doesn't bulge if the filling settles!

Quote by @%username% on %date%