Need Tips On Covering Large Square With Fondant! Nervous!

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 3 May 2008 , 6:30am by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 8

The last time I had to cover a square in fondant, I got the "lumpies" so maybe I had too much icing underneathe. The bride does want some icing under though, in case guests don't like the fondant taste. Is there a better than most icing to use underneathe to keep it's shape?

I am very nervous about this, as I want it to look good since I will be attending the wedding along with several co-workers, and we all work in banquets/catering for the Hilton and see a lot of wedding cakes on a weekly basis. Plus the head of the department will be there and wants to see my work first-hand before he recommends me to anyone.

I have Lorraine's video on covering square cakes saved, but any other tips would be appeciated.

One of my biggest problems is getting the fondant rolled out evenly that large (14" square is bottom tier). Oh, for a fondant sheeter! Do bakeries let you rent time on theirs? Too bad you can't buy it pre-rolled.

7 replies
Bettycrockermommy Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 8

Aine2 has a video on covering square cakes in fondant. here is the link.

" rel="nofollow">

sorry i just realized that you said you already had the video icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

JoAnnB Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 8

briefly chill the icing before you add the fondant. If it is a large piece, roll it out on plastic, and use the plastic to flip and position it over the cake. An extra pair of hands can help.

lorijom Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

I have better luck when I use only a bit more than a crumb coat, and chill it. I roll out my fondant then sort of loosely roll it up onto my rolling pin, then have a helper slide the cake up to the fondant and drape it over. I think for big cakes a helper is a must, even if it's a kid to just slide the cake. The tiers in my avatar are 16,12,8,4. HTH

sugarMomma Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 8

Thank you! I wish I could've seen the response for chilling the cake before I did the 10", but I couldn't log on to the site for some reason.

Still got the 14" to do and into the fridge it will go! Too bad my DH went to bed, and neither the dog or cat have opposable thumbs.

lorijom Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #6 of 8

Now that would be a trick if you could teach the dog or cat to be your assistant...their salary would be right though, a couple of treats icon_biggrin.gif

pearliesmom Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:29am
post #7 of 8

Well at least they are their for moral support!! Mine usually is. I really think she is there to see if I am going to drop some icing and to clean up the floor when I am done!!! I call her momma little helper! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarMomma Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:30am
post #8 of 8

Thank you! I wish I could've seen the response for chilling the cake before I did the 10", but I couldn't log on to the site for some reason.

Still got the 14" to do and into the fridge it will go! Too bad my DH went to bed, and neither the dog or cat have opposable thumbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%