Painting On Buttercream

Decorating By AddisCakes Updated 2 May 2008 , 4:46pm by AddisCakes

AddisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AddisCakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 6

Hey All!
I've searched to see if I could find this answer but can't. I'm not so good at fondant yet so I'm using buttercream on a cake and want to paint on it using gel colors and vodka. Can I do this? Is it going to bleed? Any tips on this?
Thanks,
Colleen

5 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 6

I paint on buttercream all the time. Make sure your buttercream is well crusted. I use my Wilton paste colors and a little vodka. Good luck!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

I paint on buttercream all the time too, but with Americolor paste. Many times (depending on what color I am going for), I don't even dilute! Keep a light hand....of course you already know that part...

Good luck!

-Michelle

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

This is all buttercream. I painted the BC scrolls with Champagne Luster dust paint... On this one, i did not even wait for it to crust..
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

you can also paint with loosened buttercream.......that is what I did for this squirrel cake.....the trees were painted on using colored buttercream with extra water added to it to make it a loose paintlike consistency. When the water evaporated it was back to being just like the regular bc.
LL

AddisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AddisCakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

You guys are great! Thanks for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%