Help W/sugar Cookies

Baking By eve08 Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:51am by GeminiRJ

eve08 Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 8

Hello All,
I am new ti this site and I have run across alot of thing that I would like to try. I really don't know where to start. I saw a very pretty cookie bouquet and I would like to try it. Can anyone tell me the technique for decorating cookies what type of frosting should I use? I have tried to make sugar cookies before but they are only soft right out of the oven, the next day they a really hard - any advise? Please help!

7 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 8

Icing preferences will vary from decorator to decorator. Rolled buttercream is popular, as is royal and Toba's glace. Alice's is another recipe found on this site. I like Toba's and modify it slightly by making it in smaller batches and by adding some brite white food color.

I use a cookie dough similar to the NFSC you'll find on this site. It lends itself well to a variety of flavorings/extracts and has a good shelf life. It also works very well for cookie bouquets.

linedancer Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 8

Hello eve08 and welcome to CC. You will quickly become addicted. Here are two excellent sugar cookies recipes, both work well for decoration:

Here is the link to Rhonda's Ultimate MMF, which I use for icing:

Hope this helps

KathyTW Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 8

I am also new to this cookie decorating and have tried several recipes found here on CC and have not been disappointed yet! I do have one question for the "seasoned" cookie decorators out there.

When using Toba's Glace do most of you outline your cookies first with a thicker version of the glace or do you just let the glace run over the sides? Most of the cookies in the photo gallery look to be outlined but it is very hard to tell.

TIA for any advise you can give!

cvigil Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 8

Hey KathyTW! Depending on how much time I have, I'll outline first and let them dry. Sometimes if I'm running behind I'll use a small off-set spatula and smooth the icing over the top. Also it depends on the look that you want. Here is a great website that I have found to be helpful.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

linedancer Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 8

I love doing my cookies with MMF. You don't have to outline, and drying time is nil. If you would like, I will pm you with some info on doing cookies this way.

KathyTW Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks're right, that is an absolutely great website! I really appreciate the info.

GeminiRJ Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #8 of 8

I outline the cookie, then immediately fill in with more glaze in a zig-zag pattern. I then use an offset spatula to smooth out the icing. When I mix up the icing, I make sure it's thick enough that it won't run over the sides. Play with the icing consistency until you get what you want. More powdered sugar for a thicker icing, and more corn syrup for a thinner icing. For outlining after the base has set, I add quite a bit more sugar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%