Satin Ice And Cracking, Help!!!

Decorating By laurynrn Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:36pm by sugarshack

laurynrn Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I bought some Satin Ice to use on a cake for today, I love the taste and it's great to color and roll out. However, I have had two problems, the first is no matter how quick I roll it out or how little cornstarch I use it still looks cracked on the sides once I drape it over my cake. I try to cut off the excess really quick and even had my DH cut with me so that the weight didn't pull on it. I just thought maybe there was a master trick?
The second thing is , bubbles. How do I prevent bubbles when rolling out? I know the pin trick but sometimes you can still see where the bubble was. Also, after I covered my cake bubbles seemed to pop up after sitting for a few minutes?
Please help me icon_cry.gif

6 replies
laurynrn Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 7

bump

BlakesCakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 7

I use Satin Ice all of the time. I highly recommend NOT using any cornstarch (it is, after all, a drying agent).

I roll on a piece of vinyl (from the fabric department in WalMart @ about $1) with a swipe of crisco on it. I have no problems with sticking or drying. I lift the piece of fondant up using my rolling pin.

As for bubbles, I think you'll always get a few, but after kneading it, I roll it into a log and smoosh it down before using the rolling pin. For me, that seems to cut down on the bubbles. If you pop the bubbles, do it from an angle at the side of the bubble and then roll over it.

Bubbles once on the cake mean that you have trapped air between the cake & the fondant. Using a fondant smoother, smooth from the top down AFTER you've trimmed the excess from the bottom--that lets the air escape out the bottom. Go over the whole cake several times with the smoother.

HTH
Rae

laurynrn Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Rae!! Excellent advice!

sugarshack Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #5 of 7

I use the blue ateco mat to roll out on with a light coat of crisco. roll it out, then flip that whole thing over onto the cake, and peel off the vinyl. the top side you rolled out ( which has all those tiny bubbles from rolling it out) are now against the cake and the new top ( which is the side that was next to the mat) is moist and flawless and ready to be smoothed!

HTH

laurynrn Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

Sharon,
Thanks for your reply, I bought all your dvds while in Maryland. I haven't watched them yet because I promised my best friend we could watch them together. ok, so I did sneak in a few minutes..ssshhhh.
I use SilPat mats that seems to have a texture on the side that will be flipped onto the cake. I guess I have to buy an Ateco?

sugarshack Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 7

i have tried the silpat and did not care for it. too stiff, not big enough and has that grid on it.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%