How Far Ahead To Start A Cake?

Decorating By maggz Updated 3 May 2008 , 2:00am by Shola

maggz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggz Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 5

if anyone could help with this one i would appreciate it very much. was just wondering if i had to have a cake ready by the 8th of may... which is wed i believe... how far ahead i should start baking, icing and decorating. i dont have a lot of fridge room to keep things cool and would need to buy storage containers to store the cake if needed. i just need a timeline on how ahead i should bake the cake, let sit... or should i ice with buttercream and put fondant on the day ahead or a couple days ahead?? i just dont want the cake to look horrible on the 8th but i dont want to be rushing around the night before the 8th because i waited until the last minute. plus i still want the cake to be moist as well. any help would be great, im doing a scrapbook cake... marble cake, some kind of filling i just dont know yet... white fondat, edible pictures and design.
TIA
Maggz

4 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 5

I always bake on the weekend prior and freeze until the morning I decorate. You can also bake the day before and ice and decorate the next day.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 5

Hi,
I've just completed my cake, as it was something I've never done before I set tasks each evening to do:
Day 1- Bake first tier (small oven icon_rolleyes.gif ) Level, wrap, freeze
Day 2- Bake 2nd tier, Level, wrap, freeze
Day 3- Make BC, defrost layers, fill + crumb coat, refridgerate. Knead/colour/flavour batch of fondant for bottom tier, wrap + leave out.
Day 4- Prepare fondant for second tier+decs, cover tiers in fondant, decorate, leave cake in air cond room over night,
Day 5- Serve and eat!

I don't know how big your cake will be but thats how I managed everything a bit at a time! Although I was up 'till 1am doing the fondant decs the last night but I'd never done anything like it before so that's why I was so slow!

ForNikoandAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ForNikoandAnna Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 5

So happy to see this thread!

Shola~ If I can ask you a few questions? When you defrost your layers how are you doing this? Do you defrost in the refrigerator or leave out on the counter? Do you unwrap them or leave them in the wrapping? How long does it take to defrost?

Baking and freezing would help tremendously. Sometimes my kids don't let me take an entire day to bake, ice and decorate!

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #5 of 5

Hi,

After reading all the tips and advice on here I took the layers out and left them on the worktop wrapped as if you unwrap they lose moisture, (I wrapped each layer individualy) it's very hot here so defrosting is really quick!

There was Noooooooooo way I could have done it all in one go! I waited for my DD to go to bed then I would get started! icon_biggrin.gif

Shola
XXX

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%