Fresh Flowers Between Tiers

Decorating By zolacakes Updated 3 May 2008 , 3:44am by Petit-four

zolacakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I hope there is someone who can help me. I'm going to be doing a cake with fresh flowers between each tier. They need to fill in the whole space. Do I just get styrofoam and stick the stems in? I'm worried about them dying at the wedding. Please, any adive is welcome. Thank you for your time. icon_redface.gif

PAMicon_smile.gif

6 replies
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

Fresh flowers last more than 20 minutes. thumbs_up.gif I set up my cakes about an hour prior to the event, using fresh flowers, and they hold up just fine. No styrofoam, no green florists block, nothing. I just tuck them in the space.

mindywith3boys Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 7

There is one in my pictures that I did. It lasted many hours put together. I'd say at least 4-5 hours. I was at the wedding and they looked fine at the end. I did ice foam flower circles and poke holes in them with a pencil at verying heights all the way around so that the roses were just where I wanted them. I had a limited supply of roses. Just what the bride brought me. They were supposed to "match" the roses that were used for the wedding. I could have used atleast 20 more, but I made do.

~Mindy

Petit-four Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 7

I use the 2 plate system with pillars (usually 3") -- I do use soaked floral foam (oasis) and use conditioned flowers on the small saucers. I keep the arrangements chilled in sealed boxes until just before setting up the cake. I've had folks tell me the arrangement lasted over a week.

It all depends on what you are using, also if it is an outdoor wedding in hot weather, and other factors. Fresh, conditioned roses and daisies can hold up for a few hours, but most violets and more delicate flowers will not. Hope this helps!

zolacakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for your replies. Mindy, I was checked out the cake you mentioned in your photos. It looks beautiful. And petit-four....I thought about the soaked floral foam but I'm worried about the water running off the plate onto the cake. Has that ever happened to you?

Thanks,again, for the ideas. Keep 'em comin'! thumbs_up.gif

mindywith3boys Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #6 of 7

Actually, I didn't soak it at all. I gave the roses a nice long drink be for I stuck the in the foam. and they were fine for hours. thumbs_up.gif

Petit-four Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:44am
post #7 of 7

Hi Pam --

Oasis (floral foam) holds an amazing amount of water, with no drips. If you use it wet, it can keep flowers for up to a week. I place it on a small plastic saucer first (like a clear plastic lid) and secure with water-proof tape. I arrange the flowers, then place it on my pillar-and-plate. When I assemble the cake, it all goes together, no need to arrange at the site.

Using dry foam will create air pockets, and some flowers will wilt. It all depends on the conditions. Of course, there are other methods, as mentioned above. It's all what you think works best for you! thumbs_up.gif

Here's some tips on using oasis:
http://www.smithersoasis.com/res_florists2.php

Here's some sites on floral arranging and conditioning:
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/tips.html

http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/conditioning.html

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%