Chocolate Curls...

Decorating By cakesbygrandma Updated 2 May 2008 , 3:41pm by cakesbygrandma

cakesbygrandma Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:34am
post #1 of 7

Hi! I have not been doing cakes for over a year now due to health I have promised to do my bosses birthday cake early next month and I thought I would go simple I want to make a chocolate cake with cigarellos and chocolate curls. I know there is a tool that you can buy it looks like a cheese wheel and it shaves large bricks of chocolate. I can not remember what they are called so I can do a search to purchase one. Anyone know what I am talking about. I would appreciate all the help. Thanks

6 replies
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:02am
post #2 of 7
Bakingbythebeach Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 7

This is just so easy, you'll never believe it until you try it! Just use a potato peeler. Seriously! It works and you dont' have to spend gobs of money on some one use gadget! Just take your block of chocolate or almond bark and put it in the microwave for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. You don't want to melt it...just break the temp a tiny bit. Then pull the potato peeler down the side just like you were doing potatos! IT WORKS! Happy Baking!~

Bakingbythebeach Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 7

This is just so easy, you'll never believe it until you try it! Just use a potato peeler. Seriously! It works and you dont' have to spend gobs of money on some one use gadget! Just take your block of chocolate or almond bark and put it in the microwave for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. You don't want to melt it...just break the temp a tiny bit. Then pull the potato peeler down the side just like you were doing potatos! IT WORKS! Happy Baking!~

snowshoe1 Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 7

Like that potato peeler idea! I have the item Cake_Princess posted but I've never been able to get it to work nicely on chocolate (I've made some fun looking cheese curls out of it - but these don't taste so great on a cake icon_wink.gif ). If anyone has used this successfully please post your tips - I've wasted a ton of time playing with it.

Back to the original post, I took a class with Zane Beg at MACS on making chocolate curls. They sell (on the Norm Davis website) a 'rose curler' - takes alot of practice to get the chocolate just right but once you do the curls are great looking. If you want instructions on how to use it, you can email/pm me.

I think I'll try the potato peeler - I'd be alot richer if I'd tried this first!!

zamku Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, I agree, I have tried the potato peeler and it really is simple and it works.

cakesbygrandma Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you I think I will try the potato peeler this weekend as I did not realise how expensive they are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%