Eeeekkkkkkkk! Chocolate Clay Looks Like Poo........

Baking By famousamous Updated 4 May 2008 , 8:58pm by Deana

famousamous Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:07am
post #1 of 8

So, I made a batch of chocolate candy clay for a cake Im doing tomorrow.
I was so shocked at the amount of brownish then clear oil that came out of it! It was foul looking! I just kept kneeding it and blotting it with paper towls, I must have went through an entire roll! Its now as oil free as Im gonna get it wrapped in saran "resting" for tomorrow. It looks a lot better and is getting firmer as I speak.

Has anyone made this stuff before? Can you offer any tips for tomorrow.
Im supposed to use it to cover the sides of a cake. You can find my other posts about the cake in "How do I?"

Heres the recipe I used.

1 bag 14oz. candy melts
1/3 cup light corn syurp

Melt chocolate and then stir in corn syurp untill combined.
Let dry on wax paper. When dry wrap in saran wrap or clay will harden.

The recipe said nothing about the oil...
I googled Candy clay and found a blog showing a baker squeezing the oil out. She said to get as much out as you could, it makes for a smoother candy.

7 replies
JoAnnB Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:14am
post #2 of 8

When you mix it, you need to stop as soon as it comes together. If you continue to stir, the fats come out of the candy.

Now that you have blotted the oils, the clay may not be usable. It could be too dry to roll.

If it is, your best bet is to start over.

vitade Posted 2 May 2008 , 9:57am
post #3 of 8

Yup, you over mixed it. You just want to mix until they are combined then let it rest. I would probably start over. Don't throw out the batch you've made, you can try to fix that later. BUT if you want a stress free application on your cake....and you have the time, make a new batch.

SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #4 of 8

I made a video on how to make it and how it looks as it's cooling, it sounds like you did it right!

But you need to leave the oil there, let it all harden together. All the cakes in my gallery that have figures are made using that same recipe...

icer101 Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 8

i take mari senaga's chocolate flower demo's at the convention each year. she is great. that is all she works with she says. she says not to squeese the oils out of the clay mixture. i take jeanette pohlmans's demo's , and they squeeze the oils out. i just never have. after it sets up and i knead it , etc. then i use it. it works great for me. hth

famousamous Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:50am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

I made a video on how to make it and how it looks as it's cooling, it sounds like you did it right!

SeriousCakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif I keep forgetting to put that on my youtube profile, that I'm a CCer. Your cake looked awesome btw! If it's hot I will usually knead it awhile then let it rest otherwise it gets wayyyy too soft.

Deana Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

I just made my first batch this past weekend...

I was told to keep kneading it until I did get all the oil out.. it looked absoltuely gross! but I kept going.. squeezing over the sink and using paper towels to blot it. After about 15 minutes, I wrapped it - and left it over night. It was as hard as a rock! I put it in the microwave for 10 seconds and that softened it a bit.. .then I mixed the chocolate with satin ice and little brown color (and just a little powder sugar) ... it was wonderful! I was able to roll it out and cover square cakes with it. It had a great chocolate flavor.

Keep going! You are going to be surprised!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%