Auction Donation Cake & Sample Cake

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 4 May 2008 , 3:43am by butterflywings

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #1 of 11

So my BFF is the local Family Services coordinator for Autism Speaks and she is part of a resource fair on the 17th. Originally, she'd asked me to make a cake (which she is buying from me) to be auctioned off during the fair. This spiraled into my having my own table (no selling - I'm making up brochures w/prices, flavors & pics of stuff I've done and printing coupons for % of 1st order of cookies, cupcakes or cake). My question is this... I plan to make a sheet cake out of the same cake/filling/icing flavor as the auction cake so that people can taste what they are bidding on (and hopefully bid MORE). What is the best, easiest way to do this? Should I bake the sheet, then ice (or cover in fondant) just the top of the cake then cut it into the bite sizes? Or should I decorate as if it were a normal sheet (sides, etc)?

Also, I could use some ideas for the auction cake. The resource fair is being held at a ranch that provides theraputic horseback riding for special needs kids. Should I incorporate horses or riding into the cake or should I just make a pretty cake? My girlfriend gave me free reign, but I don't even know how big I should make it...

10 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #2 of 11

Wow sounds like a awesome opportunity I would make a sheet cake for the tasting not a lot of decoration because you will have the one you are going to auction. I would make the sheet cake theme as close as possible because once its cut the sheet cake your not going to be able to make much out of the decor I've only done western birthdays the hats are big hit I did do one with the horse galloping around the cake the kids loved it I found the horse at the mall I used plexy glass to make sure the cake was level so the horse could gallop it's in my pictures Good Luck.

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

I hope this helps

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 11

I'd say just do the top that way everyone's sample bite is the same. This will also eliminate the side pieces either being overloaded with icing or having to be bigger to allow for the extra icing that the middle pieces won't have (did that make sense? icon_confused.gif). As for the auction cake, is it being auctioned off to raise funds for Autism Speaks or the ranch? If it's not for the ranch then I wouldn't necessarily incorporate that into the theme of the cake.

butterflywings Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 11

amia, that was my thought on the sheet cake, too. i want all the bites to be uniform.

and the auction is raising money for the ranch, not AS (though I will be doing one to raise money for AS in October). i saw a cute 2 tiered western cake in the gallery that i'm thinking i might try... i'll keep you posted

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 11

Glad you understood what I meant about the sheet cake. I had confused myself there, for a minute. icon_biggrin.gif

And since the cake IS for the ranch, then a western cake would be fun and cute and fit the auction perfectly. Can't wait to see it! thumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:15am
post #6 of 11

now if i can just get my price list together and a brochure made.... LOL

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 11

When I do auction donations, I do a wrapped gift box of cake balls with a gift certificate for either 2 dozen wrapped cakeballs or an 8" cake and then they can bid on the whole thing. But the people around here are MAD for cakeballs so I guess most know what they taste like, lol. Not much help ~ I'm sorry! icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 11

OOO donating a cake AND a certificate is a great idea. thanks

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #9 of 11

On the sheet cake you could also have some horses with riders and sidewalkers (the people that help them ride). Also, maybe somewhere the Autism rainbow.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:34am
post #10 of 11

The same recipe that would fit in a 9X13 fits in a 16X12 sheet pan 1 inch thick with enough room for frosting. Easy to cut into 100 samples. Leave it in pan and serve out of the pan. Mine from Costco came with plastic lids, great for travel.

butterflywings Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #11 of 11

great idea gr8yf. i was wondering how i was going to transport it. thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%