Using Cream Cheese Icing Under Fondant

Decorating By michellesArt Updated 2 May 2008 , 4:59pm by michellesArt

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:49am
post #1 of 4

is it possible to cover a cake with fondant but use cream cheese icing instead of typical buttercream? i had a bride who wants carrot cake with creamcheese icing and one of the cakes we were looking at was covered in fondant...she doesn't want the fondant now but my curiosity was peaked anyway so if any one can answer my q incase it comes up again i'd be grateful(i love working with fondant and was just a tad disappointed icon_cry.gif but then again it's my first wedding cake that's not my own or a family member so yeah anyway icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
honeybeepdx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeybeepdx Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:31am
post #2 of 4

I usually use a cream cheese based frosting under fondant. I prefer the taste to cream cheese. I
have never had the outcome of my cake effected by the frosting underneath the fondant as long as it is smooth.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #3 of 4

I've covered cream cheese icing cakes with fondant before. Its not my favorite under fondant because it never gets super firm in the fridge so my corners tend to get weighed down when I put the fondant on. The icings I usually use under fondant get nice and firm when cold so I get very sharp edges on my cakes when the fondant goes on.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 4

thanks...i can't wait to give it a try i just wanted to make sure the fondant wouldn't break down or something terrible like that and i wouldn't know until crunch time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%