Plastic Containers, Plastic Dog Toys Etc.

Baking By wyckedwytch Updated 2 May 2008 , 1:04pm by kello

wyckedwytch Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 9

I know this is off topic, but since we use so much plastic in our decorating with pastry bags, couplers, storage containers and so on. I feel compelled to say something wishing I had known before.

My dog was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma two days ago, and the vet said she could have a couple of days to a week to live. This is a cancer that 1 of 5 golden retrivers and german shepards get (and many other dogs too). It's a rapid silent cancer in the liver and spleen where by the time you see something different with your dog it's close to the end.

Do you have plastic squeeky toys? PVC which is what most dog toys are made of (except for kong and buda) expose your dog to a toxic leaching of chemicals into their system if they chew alot on their toys. My dog Kali is a border collie/ german shepherd who plays all day with her toys, and I now I found out that all the toys I have spoiled her with are killing her!

Please, please, please save your babies and get rid of pvc toys (think rubber duckie plastic toys, squeeky balls and such).

I'm not a freak who preaches but I just wish someone had told me 8 years ago that possibly my toys were dangerous. I would have never exposed her to this toxin.

Please no anger, I'm only typing this because I'm hurting... my dog is my families biggest treasure and we are devastated trying to make the next couple of days paradise for Kali.

Thank you,
Heather

8 replies
toleshed Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:15am
post #2 of 9

Heather
I'm so sorry for you. I don't have animals anymore because I'm allergic now. But I still love them.
Take care

2sdae Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:27am
post #3 of 9

my heart and prayers go out to you!

LadyMike Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:52am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the info. I just went through my "fur babies'" toys and threw a lot of them away. My little "fur people" are part of our family. I'm so sorry that you are having to face this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please hug her for me and <<<<<<HUGS>>>>>> to you and your family as well.

May God Bless You and Your Family,
LadyMike

Penny7271 Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:11am
post #5 of 9

I am so sorry for what you are dealing with. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

vickymacd Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:25am
post #6 of 9

I'm so sorry for what you are dealing with right now. I have a Golden and my other golden died last September with what we thought to be the same thing. Luckily my new golden now only has a rope toy and blanket. I also learned the hard way!

I especially noticed that (and not to knock them), but Walmart has tons of cheap dog toys for like 88 cents at the checkout. These are made in China where all the baby toys are being recalled as well. We all seem to forget that it affects our animals as well!

This is not a solution, but it certainly helped our family.....I never thought we would get another dog after Cooper died, but immediately, my husband demanded to get another Golden. None of us wanted another dog! Or to ever go through that again. But we did. Major has helped sooooo much in everyones grief. Five months after we got Major, my husband passed away. So, Major helped us again with our grief. My 9 mth old pup has kept this family sane!
Don't rule out another dog. I can vouch for that!!

sallene Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 9

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It's so hard losing pets, they are family!

Thank you for the information.

lovetofrost Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 9

I really appreciate your sharing this story. I'm going to check out my dogs toys in just a minute. I love, love, LOVE my dog and would so upset if something happened to her. She has come to be like one of the family. I'm sorry for you having to go through this. We had to spend some last days with a cocker spaniel we had right before we got Abby-the dog we have now. It is hard, but I know we helped her through the pain to the end. Good luck and we are praying for you and your family.

kello Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 9

I too have a Golden and couldn't imagine going through that.....I'm so sorry!

Here is a website that might be of interest to some of you. It's about time we start thinking of our pets and all living animals.....what would we do without them?

http://www.petsfortheenvironment.org/about/pets

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%