Licensed Kitchen Rental And/or Shared Kitchen Space

Business By mjballinger Updated 3 Oct 2012 , 2:35pm by paula0712

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone. I was just reading the thread about un-licensed businesses and I saw a few people mention "renting" kitchen time. How do you all find that kind of opportunity? I searched the net for it in my area and got no luck...... the closest I believe was Philli, and hey, we all know about gas prices. That's not going to happen. I just make cakes and cupcakes and cookies and cakes for family and friends at the moment, but I'd love to be legal. First, I'd need to buy a house though, and heck, the economy sucks. lol. I have some really good contacts in my area, so I think it'd be great if I could find somewhere to rent kitchen time/space or something.

Also, does anyone do this and know what is involved? Do you need commercial insurance, etc??

If it helps, I am in South east/central PA.

Thanks everyone!

8 replies
alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 9

Uggghhh, it can be pricy!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to open a kitchen rental..... renting someones kitchen can be around $50 an hour! I want to do $10 an hour or less, so basically I'd be renting it out like a non - profit... but hey, I'd get to use it! But that is starting to seem impossible to get my costs below $10 an hour.......... sob.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:02am
post #3 of 9

Start by checking out places that may only be open for breakfast or lunch,
that close early. I have been renting a kitchen for the past year, from a guy who has a bakery, and sells kolaches and cinn rolls... he closes at noon, and I rent the kitchen from noon on. We agreed to a monthly rate, based on a number of hours each week, that I'd be using the kitchen. You will need insurance, which will run around $500 annually, and whatever your state requires for you to sell food (certification/permit/etc). It's definately a more economical way, vs. opening your own shop. You can also check out this site (but I didn't see anything in your area). You just have to get out there and look!

http://www.BizKitchens.com/

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 9

please check out a monthly rate for rent. its so much more economical. i;ve posted this before, but my monthly rent is $350.00. i recently spent 35 hours in one week working on a wedding with 54 mini cakes plus a main cake. at $10 an hour, the lowest hourly rate you can expect, i would have spent an entire months rent in one week! in the long run it works out best for all parties involved. i rent from a caterer htat i met through a bar mitzvah that we both worked. she's my friend now and we get along really well. she can count on guaranteed money every month, and i can relax and not feel rushed all of the time, like i did when i used to pay hourly to an artisan bread bakery.

now i get to hold my tastings at her kitchen too, which adds easily 10 hours a week that i'm there just meeting with brides not even working on cakes. its great to get those meetings out of the house.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

I have a caterer friend who cleans a church for no salary and they let her use their kitchen for no rent. She told me the church kitchen was not health dept approved, BUT ..... ! As long as it had the equipment she needed to do HER work, the HD approved the kitchen for her ... it didn't affect the church. Not sure if it works that way in all states, but you might explore this option.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 9

I rent from a caterer for a $350 a month. I found her through her website on the internet and made a cold call. Didn't know her before but she was very nice and very open to the idea. Try places that aren't open all day or in use every day.

TariqWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TariqWest Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 9

You might also check this Quora thread on how small food businesses find commercial kitchen space:
http://www.quora.com/Food/How-do-small-food-businesses-find-commercial-kitchen-spaces

Also, I work with a startup, Cooqery, that connects small food businesses - caterers, food trucks, bakers, food product manufacturers - to flexible, affordable kitchen spaces. Details at: http://www.cooqery.com/

Best,
Tariq

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 9

I just asked the owner of a coffee shop ... she has so much extra space, she was glad to talk to me! So, just ask. {And if you can, maybe ask someone who you know a little, or a shop you visit already.}

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 9

I rent from my local community center, plus they are open to advertising for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%