What Is The Best Way To Make Red Icing??

Decorating By janicecold Updated 1 May 2008 , 9:47pm by toodlesjupiter

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make red icing for a cake and is there any way to make it without having to use tons of red food colouring or is it just inevitable, I need to add a ton of food colouring. Would it work better if I add pink food colouring first and then red??

Thanks!!

9 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 10

Yeah, you really do need alot of coloring to achieve a true red. I have found that if you make the icing a bit stiffer then what you need, the additional of liquid won't break it down. I also mix all my 'reds' to get a really deep color and I make it at least 2 days ahead since the color will really deepen as it sits.

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 10

I have made red icing once & I had to use the whole jar of Wilton red just to achieve the color I needed...however, I have heard some ladies on here say that Americolor red really helps & you don't have to use as much. Hopefully someone that has used the Americolor will post on here for you. Good luck!

janicecold Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 10

That is good to know about making it ahead. I was going to make it tonight and decorate the cake tomorrow. I will use all my reds then too!! Thanks!!

janicecold Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 10

I would love to use Americolor but I cannot seem to find it here in Winnipeg, or other places in Canada in general.

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 10

You could start by making a chocolate BC icing. Then start adding your red. It don't take as much coloring then. Def not a whole thing of red. And let it sit overnight if possible. The color deepens then. HTH. Good luck!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 10

little tip for the next time...I am a procrastinator thumbsdown.gif SO .. anytime I have white icing left over from a cake project I color it red or black. I let it set out on the counter for a few days and then pop it in the freezer with a label.

Next time I need one of those colors I just get it out of the freezer when I start the cake and I am ready to go!! thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 10

One thing I found helps...not sure why but it did. When I was mixing my frosting, I poured the liquid food color (all I had was McCormicks) straight into the water I was using for the frosting. I did like a
75 food color/ 25 water mix. Truest color I've ever gotten. Plus it was SO much easier to incorporate it and I didn't worry about over mixing.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 10

I was having trouble getting red, but now I start with burgandy and then add no taste red. I also make it up a couple of days in advance. The longer it sets the reder it gets. Good luck.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 10

I read somewhere on this forum that you can achieve a really true red by starting with yellow, then orange, then red. She said you will use less of the actual red that way(so I would assume less bitter taste). I haven't had to do red since then to try it for myself, but others replied back saying that it works. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%