Making A Wine Glass

Decorating By kandypa Updated 1 May 2008 , 10:11pm by sweetmandie

kandypa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandypa Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 8

I need some help! icon_cry.gif I am trying to make a wine glass. I searched the forum and saw a post but I don't have the mini wondermold (45 min to cake supply store) and didn't really understand what doug and them were trying to say.

I have made MMF and gum paste. Tried molding around a real wine glass in both icings. It didn't work..... icon_sad.gif

Specific questions....other then up above...which do I use, MMF or Gum paste? Do i hand mold it? And how to construct if I do? A "snake" won't hold up a solid "bowl"....any ideas or suggestions would be great!

7 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

I have never made one, but my guess would be to make the bowl of the glass, stem, and base separately out of gumpaste. After they are dry, I would glue them together with gum glue. Hopefully, someone else here will have some ideas as well. Good luck!

<S>

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 8

Got any big plastic Easter Eggs? I just used one as a flower former. The pointy end would probably work great.....

kandypa Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 8

I don't think I have one that large. The glass is supposed to be slightly less than normal size.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

You wrote *around a real wine glass". Perhaps if you put saran paper inside the glass and try to put in it a circle of gumpaste or whatever , over the saran paper and pat it with your fingers , so as to get the shape of the cup. The stem and base you hand-mold separately and glue together after they are dry.
Sorry that my English doesn't help me too much in conveying my idea.
HTH

kandypa Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 8

I don't think I have one that large. The glass is supposed to be slightly less than normal size.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 8

What if you made it using melted white chocolate? Use a glass as your mold...make sure the opening is larger than the bottom of it so the chocolate will come out once it's molded. Melt your chocolate wafers, pour into your glass and fill it to the top. Let it cool a bit and pour out some of the chocolate. For the stem you could cover a dowel or cookie stick with the chocolate and for the bottom of the glass pour your chocolate into a circle onto some parchment paper and let cool. To put it together use more melted chocolate to "glue" it together.

I've never done this but it's sounds like it might work!

sweetmandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmandie Posted 1 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 8

Have you tried using hard candy? I have been really interested lately in making "glass" sculptures out of a mixture called glass candy. Peraphs you could create a mold and fill it in with the liquid candy glass. Candy glass is frequently used in the entertainment industry as a substitute for real glass. Try this websie for an idea of what I am talking about.
http://www.angelfire.com/movies/nobudgetsfx/candyglass.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%