Here Postie Postie Postie....

Decorating By Candes Updated 2 May 2008 , 3:32am by Amia

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone seen my post about Crumb coating? icon_sad.gif I swear I posted this last week. I went back several pages here and elsewhere.

Lately my crumb coating is tearing up my cakes. Do you chill yours before applying icing? Is my icing to thick? How long do you chill your cakes before and after the process?

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

It sounds like your icing is definitely too think. It needs to spread on fairly easily. then you can chill it to firm up the cake and the crumbcoat, making the icing go on easier.

kandypa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandypa Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 7

If my crumb coat "tears" up my cake I thin it out with Corn syrup. After crumb coating I let set in fridge for a couple of hours!

Best of luck to ya!

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 7

I put a thin layer just enough so you don't see cake showing through. Then put it in the fridge until firm. maybe 15 to 20 mins. Then go back a put the final coat on. Make sure that your crumb coat is smooth too or you could pick it back up when you go over it. I use the same methods of smoothing the crumb coat as I do for the final.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 7

I have nothing to add except your topic header made me laugh out loud icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 7

Try heating your b'cream for a crumb coaticon_smile.gif
I put *just* enough icing in a cup/small bowl (usually about 1/4 c) and melt it in the MW - that only takes maybe 5-10 seconds. Watch it carefully - you will see it start to melt - take itout and stir it until completely smooth. Spread on your cake as quickly as possible. As it cools it dries and you don't have to wait or put it in the frig...it's done!
Spread it *very, very* thinnly w/your cake spatula.
Once it has been heated you cannot use it if it cools so you have to work fast! It cannot be reheated so don't use too much at once. YOu can alwaysheat more but cannot use it cool or reheat.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #7 of 7

kakeladi that is an awesome tip...I'm going to try that on my next cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%