Satin Ice Fondant For Cookies

Baking By bailey4302 Updated 6 May 2008 , 9:32am by Melvira

bailey4302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bailey4302 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 30

Has anyone decorated cookies using this icing? I have 100 cookies to make using the dress cookie cutter for a communion and wanted to know if this was an easy method of icing to use. Thanks everyone! Pics are always welcomed to for a visual.

29 replies
mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 30

I use Satin Ice fondant a lot. It is great to work with, easy to decorate with and tastes great. The only drawback is price. It can get kind of spendy to use all the time. MMF or any other homemade fondant works fine, too. I have several pics in my photos that show cookies using SI. HTH

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 30

I haven't used Satin Ice Fondant but I've used homemade marshmallow fondant and I love it on cookies.....you can paint on it..it stays soft to the bite...you can write on it.....I LOVE it on cookies!!
LL
LL
LL
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 30

Satin Ice is all I've used. Works great, tastes great!

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 30

Wow those are some awesome cookies! Thanks for sharing your tips...I'm new to all of this. icon_smile.gif

bailey4302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bailey4302 Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #6 of 30

Thanks ladies for the responses. Love the pics of the cookies....how do you get a picture on the fondant?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #7 of 30

you mean like the dogs?? I just piped em' on with royal

t00precious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t00precious Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 30

I LOVE using satin ice. I am not good with royal icing and the whole flooding thing. I like the taste of fondant. RI is way to swet for me and my family prefer's fondant.

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 30

So how do you get the fondant to stick to the cookie? Is there icing under it? Do you use the cookie cutter and cut out the shape from the fondant? Someone said it says soft, my fondant becomes very hard when I let the air get to it. Sorry for the questions, but I hate flooding my cookies!! I would love to know about the fondant on Cookies!!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 30

love the packaging of your cookies too, can you tell us more about it, are you using scrap booking papers and do you seal your bags? they look so good!!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 30

I roll out and cut the fondant with the same cookie cutter as the cookie, then throw them in the freezer while I bake. (A light freezing makes them easier to handle, they don't stretch or lose shape when you pick them up!) Pull out a tray of fondant shapes and as the cookies come out of the oven lay a slice of fondant on each warm cookie, let it sit for a minute or two, then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling. At this point sometimes I like to press them with an impression mat! Easy, quick, and pretty! By doing it this way, the fondant adheres to the cookie with an almost unbreakable bond once it's cooled. Some people prefer to cool the cookie, then use corn syrup or piping gel to 'glue' it on. There is nothing wrong with that, I just prefer the heat method!
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 30

If you cut out the fondant and have it ready to go when you pull the cookies out of the oven, just lay the fondant on top. The warmth of the hot cookie causes the fondant to laminate right onto the cookie.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee1219

So how do you get the fondant to stick to the cookie? Is there icing under it? Do you use the cookie cutter and cut out the shape from the fondant? Someone said it says soft, my fondant becomes very hard when I let the air get to it. Sorry for the questions, but I hate flooding my cookies!! I would love to know about the fondant on Cookies!!

I use thinned royal icing to adhere the fondant to cookies, but I've heard of people using corn syrup or even just water, or some that have the shapes cut out ahead and put them on the cookie hot out of the oven.

The fondant does harden, but not crunchy hard.

I hate flooding as well, and I stink at it! I use royal icing to pipe details on top of the fondant.

I now buy from www.IntoTheOven.com and it comes out to $3 per pound, including my shipping charges, for Satin Ice.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:23pm
post #14 of 30

I've only used mmf myself and not satin ice, as others mentioned, I place the shaped fondant on the warm cookie then I put them back in the oven for 2 minutes, or less depending on your oven.
Also as Melvira does, I use impression molds to make pretty designs on the cookies.

After cookies are frozen, I do the same after thawing, place fondant on them and put them under the broiler...very carefully, @ 350* and lower your rack. This has to be watched extremely close!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #15 of 30

Can you explain this impression mat and molds? I love how they look.

Melvira Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:37am
post #16 of 30

toleshed, impression mats can be purchased through cake supply websites, or, you can simply go to the craft store and look in the clay section! That's what I use a lot and it's perfectly safe! It's just a rubber mat with designs on it, and you press it against the fondant to leave an impression. It's beautiful and easy!! (Plus if you buy the clay ones at the craft store it's not that expensive!)

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:58am
post #17 of 30

Wow, your cookies are great guys, love the impression and packaging as well. I've never done cookies before but your pics made me think about it and I'll give it a try, now, my question is about flavor, which one taste better, RI or SI? icon_eek.gif

Melvira Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:07am
post #18 of 30

Satin Ice definitely! I am not crazy about royal icing. But the fondant (as long as it's well flavored) is really delicious!

Dru329 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #19 of 30

I'd like to know about the impression molds too....where can I find these at? Your cookies are awsome btw...would you mind sharing the recipe you use for your cookies? I like that they don't expand. Thanks!

miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #20 of 30

Melvira do you flavor your SI?, I've never used it and I just got my first bucket delivered a few days ago and I think it's a great oportunity to use it, I got the white one, no idea if it's flavored, I assumed it was vanilla, I have to check. icon_redface.gif

Melvira Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #21 of 30

Dru, I'm not sure who you are asking for a recipe from, would you mind clarifying! icon_wink.gif I won't assume it's me! hehehe.

Miny- you can absolutely add flavoring to the SI, but I find it scarcely needs it. I just meant that fondant tastes excellent on cookies as long as you aren't using Wilton rubber cement fondant. icon_redface.gif Sorry to be harsh but I think everyone on earth agrees that it tastes like poo! But, if you really want to enhance a flavor in the SI, simply knead in a little at a time. You may find you need to add a little PS to balance out the extra moisture though.

miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:46am
post #22 of 30

Melvira you are so funny!, thank you for the tip I'm going to give the cookies a try but dumb question: are they sugar cookies? as I told you "no idea what I'm doing" hahaha FOR REAL!!!!! LOL. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:49am
post #23 of 30

I have tried all three..satin ice, other fondants, and Rolled buttercream. Satin ice is easy to work with but...for my family and friends they prefer RBC! It is inexpensive to work with and tastes great!!!

Dru329 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #24 of 30

Melvira...if you have a recipe and wouldn't mind sharing...PLEASE go right ahead icon_smile.gif I've never tried making cookies before (well not these type of cookies) and was wanting to make my nephew some for his pre-school graduation and some for my other nephew for his two year birthday AND also some for my mother for mother's day...if you have a great recipe for these cookies (that doesn't expand) I'd be more than happy to use it icon_biggrin.gif You ladies are sooooo talented here and your cookies are soooo elegant. I've been going through the galleries and MAN...there is sooo much talent here! Thanks so much!

zolacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zolacakes Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #25 of 30

I love the idea of using SI for the cookies! I have always used royal icing and it was very messy and time consuming. I love this site! Everyone is so helpful! Allow me to share......last year I opened the doors to my new cake shop. I needed a good cut out cookie recipe. I found it on allrecipes.com and it's the only one I use! The cookies are delicious! (With SI they'll be even better!) Here is the recipe for anyone who would like to try it. icon_wink.gif
The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies
Submitted by: Jill Saunders
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 1698 members Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Minutes Ready In: 3 Hours
Yields: 60 servings

"Whenever you make these cookies for someone, be sure to bring along several copies of the recipe! You will be asked for it, I promise!!!"
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 5/5/2008

Melvira Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Melvira you are so funny!, thank you for the tip I'm going to give the cookies a try but dumb question: are they sugar cookies? as I told you "no idea what I'm doing" hahaha FOR REAL!!!!! LOL. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well, I will try not to mock you too much!!! *pointing and laughing* JUST KIDDING!!!! icon_lol.gif

Yes, they are sugar cookies! I think so far my favorite recipe is from "The Flour Pot" Cookie book. (I would post it, but I'm not sure you are allowed to do that with published recipes like that... is that copyright infringement??) If you have not seen this book, you need to run to your library and check it out. You will get SO much inspiration from it! Their cookies are just fun, elegant, and well made! Here is a link to the Barnes and Noble site so you can see which book I'm speaking of: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9780762425952&ourl=Flour%2DPot%2DCookie%2DBook%2FMargie%2DGreenberg It is really worth looking into!

I haven't really had the chance to try it with the RBC but I am desperately hoping to. Because to me, nothing tastes as good as BC on a sugar cookie! I'm afraid free time to test new things is just at a premium right now, so I haven't been able to! Maybe someday I'll have some time off! Hahaha, that's a good joke! icon_wink.gif

Dru329 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #27 of 30

THANKS for the recipe and Melvira THANKS for the link....I will soo check it out as well icon_biggrin.gif.....ladies I know this was someone else's post but do you guys have a recipe for RBC? I had never heard of this until I found this website. Thanks so much!

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #28 of 30

i LOVE SATIN ICE TOOO........BUT ITS NOT IN THE BUDGET NOW i USE IT FOR MY DEMO COOKIES AND MMF FOR THE ACTUAL COOKIES

miny Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:33am
post #29 of 30

Thank you Melvira and zolacakes for the recipe and link, you are such a great help.........now if you could make the cookies for me.......hahaha, LOL.
I'll let you gals know how my attempt on cookie making turns out. icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:32am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Thank you Melvira and zolacakes for the recipe and link, you are such a great help.........now if you could make the cookies for me.......hahaha, LOL.
I'll let you gals know how my attempt on cookie making turns out. icon_wink.gif

That's funny, I always say the same thing to Nancy! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%