Looking For Any Bakers Interested In Being A Partner

Business By maggz Updated 1 May 2008 , 7:40pm by CakeDiva73

maggz Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 3

i read a couple of posts about ladies who were selling cakes and such from their home... great idea, i love it and would love to do this. im currently a stay at home mom with 2 children under the age of 5 so... it would be perfect to be at home and make money as well. i havent really experienced the process of making a cake from beginning to finish including fondant, icing and decorations. i have made simple cakes that looked like a 5 yr old made them... icon_smile.gif but im very interested in learning and creating beautiful cakes for birthdays, special occassions and hopefully one day after a lot of guidance and practice... wedding cakes. im currently living in a small apartment... so i dont know if i would be able to run a business out of my place nor do i think i have the money for supplies right this second. i was hoping to partner with someone who was a little experienced. i would def provide my share of cost, and time, effort towards any business we decided to do together. just an idea, if anyone is interested or has any advice please post, id love to hear from anyone and their ideas.

icon_smile.gif thanks for reading,
Maggz - New Hampshire area

2 replies
JoAnnB Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 3

It depends a lot on where you live. Many states do not allow sale of home-baked goods.

As for decorating, the best way to get started is to practice. Many hobby stores offer cake decorating classes. If you can't afford that, you can learn on you own.

Using an inverted cake pan as a cake dummy, and a recipe of white shorteing-based icing, you can decorate and practice over and over to improve your skills.

A basic decorating book, (Wiltons lesson books are not expensive) or you can get many at a public library, will get you started.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 3

Practice, Practice, Practice, lol....just like the saying goes. I was mostly self-taught and then took a couple of classes because I felt like I was missing things, which I was. They were cheap and fun and really filled in all the holes of my cake-ucation.

I remain a self-taught person because there are tons of more advanced ideas and techniques I want to do but do not have the money, or time (4 kids!!) to take more advaned classes. So I troll the web and utube for tutorials, there are some here too. And I am a bit of a library rat....I check out all the books and then pour over them fore instruction and try for myself.

It takes a while and I sure wish I had a cake partner to do this with, lol. Would have been fun. If you can find someone locally to take the classes with, that would be fun too. Craft stores often offer half off their classes, making them only $12.50 for 6 weeks.

Just get some basic tools and start playing - get some books and go to utube. There is a channel, I can't remember the name - ivillage maybe? Anyway, just type in cake decorating, fondant, gumpaste, etc. and a ton of little clips will come up. Good luck and have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%