chikie Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 10

How is a whimsy cake suppose to be cut?

~Tiffany

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 10

The same way as a normal cake, but you could always cut the "high" sides a little narrower so that people get the same amount of cake as the pieces on the low sides.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 10

It's important that the carved sides are equal all the way around the cake. If one side is carved in deeper than the other, then the heavier top will begin to lean and you could end up with a slipping top torte.

They don't need much carving as it's the slant in the top that lends mostly to overall effect.

I don't cut the hole for the flat spot as in the tutorial here, I just stack each normally using dowels and piping gel to hold them in place. But with this method I've found that you have to cut an angle form both the top and bottom of the top tiers (not the base tier) so that it looks like a wedge. Otherwise the top tiers will stick out to the side too much.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 10

Try googling topsy-turvy cakes. I read an excellent post with a picturial on how to do it. I got the link from CC. Try our search first. It was very helpful. I didn't save it. I am a visual person.

I hope that helps.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 10

There are a couple different methods - I like the one where you cut the cake at an angle and then rotate it 180 degress so it now creates a crooked tier. Just offset each one and then (IMHO) dowel the center.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 10

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll e-mail you my instructions. I took pictures of a lot of the steps involved too and I'll send those as well. icon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 10

chikie - is your question for serving people? Or for construction?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 10

I thought it was for serving it, not for construction!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 10

Ooooh.. DUH! icon_redface.gif

I usually just cut it like any other cake.. a little thinner in the taller parts and a little thicker in the shorter parts.

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks, I meant for serving, but I'm glad I got all this info.

~Tiffany

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%