Fondant And Gum Paste

Decorating By Rosie932 Updated 2 May 2008 , 7:00am by JanH

Rosie932 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie932 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 3

I am reallllly new at this. What is the difference between fondant and gum paste and are there certain places you use one vs the other. Thanks,

Rosie icon_confused.gif

2 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 3

Fondant does not dry as hard as gumpaste. It depends on what you want to make, which one you use. For instance, you would never cover a cake with gumpaste as the covering would be rock hard after it dries. Fondant will dry to a certain extent, but it does remain somewhat pliable. Sometimes, depending on what you want to make, you can mix the two 50/50 and get the benefits of both. I've made some flowers using the mixture. But I've also made flowers using one or the other. While gumpaste is edible, most people would say they wouldn't eat it - it's too hard to eat once it's dried. Fondant, however, can be eaten, and if it covers the entire cake, it can be eaten. Some people wouldn't eat fondant, though, if it were a case of eating a fondant rose, for instance. It's OK as a cake covering, but to sit and eat a fondant flower or bow ... you could, but many people wouldn't.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:00am
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%