Layering Fondant?

Decorating By loveyoukisses Updated 12 May 2008 , 2:51pm by PattyT

loveyoukisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveyoukisses Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking to make my own graduation party cake, and I wanted to achieve this effect:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1214456

But I can't figure out how to go about it. I'm new to this and hoping to get some cool experience by doing my own cake.
Thanks!

5 replies
Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 6

from her comments on the picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksmom

The diagonals on a dummy are easy. I laid the pink on first (wouldn't do it that way again), and just cut the diagonal. Then I flipped it over and did the same with the brown, but i smoothed the brown around the edges of the pink first, then used my pizza cutter to cut the line. since the fondant was still soft, i was able to mold it to the pink. If its on a real cake, i would do the bottom first, just drape the whole thing over the top like a normal fondant covering, Ok, it cut me off. anyway, then i can do the top, with the smoothing, the cutting, and the molding. i let my little daisies dry partially before i put them on. then made the fondant centers (just a little pinch) and smooshed them in. getting the diag. cut is the hardest part, so trace it out first before you cut! HTH

HTH

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveyoukisses

I am looking to make my own graduation party cake, and I wanted to achieve this effect:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1214456

But I can't figure out how to go about it. I'm new to this and hoping to get some cool experience by doing my own cake.
Thanks!

Read through the comments she kind or explains how she did it.

loveyoukisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveyoukisses Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

I did read her description, I guess I was looking for tips, or suggestions on how to make it even, and smooth.

Thanks!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 6

Myabe you could try PMing her. Also, Aine2 has some great videos on smoothing and covering cakes with fondant.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

I love the cake in the picture, and wanted to try similar - but even with the comments, I can't quite visualize how to do this.

If the bottom color is first, do you pre-cut the diagonal? Then lay the top color on and cut to fit? On real cake would a pizza wheel pull frosting though?

Sorry so many questions? Looks so cool - simple and elegant, but seems hard to do.

Thanks - Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%