Remember This Cake - How To Do Design?

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:56am by butterflywings

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 11

I know someone a while back was asking how to do this design. Well I have a request for it now and I can't remember how it was done, or even who was asking about it. It is done with cream cheese icing.

My cream cheese icing crusts. I don't know if this could be done with a crusting cream cheese or how to make the design.

Help, please.
LL

10 replies
matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 11

Well if I remember correctly everyone thought that it was piped with a petal or a flat open tip like the back of a basketweave tip done in stripes and then after it is all done you would take a skewar or a knife or something and draw lines starting at the bottome and pull upward to creat the design. As far as crusting vs non cristing icing. I have no idea. Sorry

Hope I helped abit

Janice

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 11

It almost looks to me like it was done with sugarveil.

pjaycakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 11

Okay, I remember the design now and how it was done. Now the only question is should the cream cheese be non-crusting?

pjaycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #5 of 11

Here is my first attempt at the above cake. Granted it was a 5" cake that was only 3" high. I iced the cake smooth and used a 104 tip and piped four lines horizontally around the cake. Then took a pointed dowel and made the vertical lines. It seems not quite right although I kind of like the look.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it look more like the above photo. Thanks
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #6 of 11

Try making the 'down strokes' w/a lighter touch. Don't go so deep into the icing.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:28am
post #7 of 11

Hey, I like that!! I wish I could see what you did with the top.. I agree with Kakeladi.. maybe a bit lighter on the strokes with the dowel.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:30am
post #8 of 11

it remindes me of a oldfashoned fluffy prom dress. hee hee

Seriously. that would make a stunning wedding or baby shower cake with just a few flowers .. I like it!!

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:46am
post #9 of 11

I also agree with Kakeladi not so deep with dowl a softer touch will give the flow a softer look...

pjaycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:32am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it one the next one.

bcake - For the top I used a 17 tip and started at the center and went fromt the center to the edge and back to the center all the way around.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #11 of 11

i pulled the original photo onto my computer and tried to zoom in a little to see what might really be going on and it looks like when she made the "drapes" with the petal she overlapped each line slightly and she might have "swooped" a little (very technical term, right there LOL). then the dowel lines are closer together than yours. i really like your version, but agree w/PP to use a lighter touch when you drag the line up.

oh and it lookes like she might have used one of the smaller petals tips, 101 or 102 instead of 104. her swags look narrower than yours

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%