Raspberry Filling Question

Decorating By Lenette Updated 1 May 2008 , 8:49pm by lu9129

Lenette Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 7

I bought some raspberry filling in the sleeve from the supply store (I'm being a slacker this week, didn't want to make it) but it's pretty decent. My question is, it has seeds which drives me nuts. Do you all strain them out some how or just leave it? TIA!

6 replies
AuntAndrea Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 7

I've used that raspberry filling a few times, and I didn't strain out the seeds, and it was still okay. I do mix it in with my buttercream first to make the filling, though, since when I used it alone the first time my cake levels slide off of one another! icon_eek.gif As a result -- and this could all be in my head icon_confused.gif , but -- the seeds just don't seem as "annoying" after I started mixing it with the buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Like I said, it could all be in my head... icon_wink.gif

Petit-four Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 7

You can also usually find seedless raspberry preserves in the grocery store. Some people put a thin layer on butter-cream down to help hold it in place and prevent wicking into the cake, others don't. You can always bake an extra cupcake, torte it, and let it sit overnight to see what happens. icon_rolleyes.gif

marccrand Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 7

This is coming from a person who doesn't eat raspberries (or watermelon, etc) not because I don't like them, but I can't stand the seeds! I used to strain my raspberry filling - it's so yummy that way - but once didn't have the time. I tried a piece a cake to see how offensive the seeds would be, and couldn't even tell the difference! Needless to say, I don't bother anymore.

Sometimes I mix it the icing for the filling (gives it kind of a mousse look), sometimes put a layer of icing then a THIN (see AuntAndrea's note) to keep the red stripe very defined, or put the filling on the cake which will then kind of meld into the cake for fuzzy red stripes. Depends on how I feel that day!

lu9129 Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 7

When you use preserves, what kind and does this work the same as the homemade fillings?

rhopar33 Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by lu9129

When you use preserves, what kind and does this work the same as the homemade fillings?

I always use the Smucker's Seedless Red Raspbery Preserves and it is delicious everytime. I use a "dam" of buttecream around my layer first, then I smear in the preserves.

lu9129 Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much. I have always made my own, hit or miss. I just want easy for awhile! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%