Bottom Third Of Cake Did Not Cook

Decorating By punkinpie Updated 3 May 2008 , 1:21am by punkinpie

punkinpie Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first 'real' disaster and as far as disasters go it's not the end of the world. It's a 'for fun' practice cake or was

I've been trying out different recipes lately and this morning I made the Hersey chocolate cake recipe from their website.
http://tinyurl.com/2eylgj

I made a small character pan, 4 cupcakes and a 6 inch round.

The 6 inch round is what gave me trouble. It's a 6x3 magic line pan than my mother gave me. She's had it since the very early 80's I believe. I've used it quite a few times and have had no trouble.

I used bake even strips, but forgot to put in a rose nail. I did over fill it a bit.

It cooked for 55 minutes. I touched the top and it was springy. I put in the cake tester and it came out clean.

I let it sit for 10 minutes and then when I flipped it over it went glug and the bottom third of the cake was not at all cooked. I wonder how the top two thirds could be perfect but the rest soupy ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alexis
LL
LL

4 replies
pjaycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:03am
post #2 of 5

I have had this happen (not to that extreme), when I use baking strips on 6" pans. I think because the cake doesn't need to cook very long and the baking strips keep the bottom and sides cooler longer and they don't cook as fast as the top. I have had cakes that were very gooey on the sides in that small of a pan with baking strips.

Try it with just a flower nail in the center and no baking strips. I only use them on cakes larger than 8".

HTH

Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:36am
post #3 of 5

I do not use bake even strips for the 6 inch pan. I agree it keeps the sides to cool to allow the cake to cook. This may have been the problem.

scgriffiths Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:51am
post #4 of 5

I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I've been using wet towels instead of baking strips, and because I used a smaller tin than usual, the towel wrapped around twice, and the cake came out looking just like yours!

punkinpie Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #5 of 5

And I thought I was doing a good thing. Ah well - live and learn. I will try just a flower nail next time.

Thanks sooo much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%