Crusty Edges

Decorating By Carson Updated 3 May 2008 , 7:42am by Carson

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am having a lot of trouble with the edges of my cakes being crusty, instead of soft. I am not sure what to do about it, any ideas?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 6

Is it possible the cakes are over-baking?

Using a heating core, bake-even strips, and/or a flower nail will help bake the centers faster. The cake will be done sooner and the edges won't overbake.

You may be able to rescue them with a brush of simple syrup, plain or flavored.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

It definately sounds like you are overbaking them. What temp are you using? Maybe your oven is not right on temp. Also useing the strips around the outside of the pan & a heating 'core' (flower nail) should help.
Lastly bake a day or two ahead and fz. You will be surprised how the moisture will spread thru a cake when you do. Wrap well in plastic wrap and fz overnight or more.

Carson Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 6

I use a heating core for large cakes, flower nail for smaller. I hate the strips but do use them for my 14" and 16" pans. My centers are still not cooking as fast as the edges, guess that's my problem. I am going to turn the oven down 25 degrees and see if that helps.

Luckily I did bake these cakes ahead of time and froze them, so they did end up nice and moist on the outter top edge.

Thanks for the help!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:07am
post #5 of 6

<...I hate the strips but do use them for my 14" and 16" pans. My centers are still not cooking as fast as the edges, guess that's my problem...>

Of course the center does not bake as fast. What temp are yuou baking at? I have baked cakes at 300 degrees. It does take longer but you will have a very moist, level cake. It can take up to an hour for a 12" round or sq.
If you learn to bake them until you smell them you won't have problems w/the centers not getting doneicon_smile.gif The time is just a guide not a hard and fast rule.

Carson Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:42am
post #6 of 6

So I think my oven isn't low enough, I usually bake at 325, but perhaps its hotter than I think! Thanks for you help with this, I really don't like the actual baking part as much as the decorating part so I never really paid much attention. I have to know because I am baking for other people now!

Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%