Crusty Edges

Decorating By Carson Updated 3 May 2008 , 7:42am by Carson

Carson Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am having a lot of trouble with the edges of my cakes being crusty, instead of soft. I am not sure what to do about it, any ideas?

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 6

Is it possible the cakes are over-baking?

Using a heating core, bake-even strips, and/or a flower nail will help bake the centers faster. The cake will be done sooner and the edges won't overbake.

You may be able to rescue them with a brush of simple syrup, plain or flavored.

kakeladi Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

It definately sounds like you are overbaking them. What temp are you using? Maybe your oven is not right on temp. Also useing the strips around the outside of the pan & a heating 'core' (flower nail) should help.
Lastly bake a day or two ahead and fz. You will be surprised how the moisture will spread thru a cake when you do. Wrap well in plastic wrap and fz overnight or more.

Carson Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 6

I use a heating core for large cakes, flower nail for smaller. I hate the strips but do use them for my 14" and 16" pans. My centers are still not cooking as fast as the edges, guess that's my problem. I am going to turn the oven down 25 degrees and see if that helps.

Luckily I did bake these cakes ahead of time and froze them, so they did end up nice and moist on the outter top edge.

Thanks for the help!

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:07am
post #5 of 6

<...I hate the strips but do use them for my 14" and 16" pans. My centers are still not cooking as fast as the edges, guess that's my problem...>

Of course the center does not bake as fast. What temp are yuou baking at? I have baked cakes at 300 degrees. It does take longer but you will have a very moist, level cake. It can take up to an hour for a 12" round or sq.
If you learn to bake them until you smell them you won't have problems w/the centers not getting doneicon_smile.gif The time is just a guide not a hard and fast rule.

Carson Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:42am
post #6 of 6

So I think my oven isn't low enough, I usually bake at 325, but perhaps its hotter than I think! Thanks for you help with this, I really don't like the actual baking part as much as the decorating part so I never really paid much attention. I have to know because I am baking for other people now!

Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%