I Need Help...does Anyone Have Ideas?

Decorating By Cake_Bliss Updated 1 May 2008 , 9:46pm by Cake_Bliss

Cake_Bliss Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a cake for a friend of my husbands. He has twins, a boy and a girl. They want a three teir cake, but actually cut it in half and decorated in each of their colors. How would I be able to make sure it is supported so they don't fall into each other? They want it to be next to each other but in two seperate peices. They also want it covered in white fondant. Any ideas how to make it look its best?

7 replies
busymom9431 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 8

They actually asked to have it cut in half???????????? I guess I am confused. I would not know what to do either. Why can you just make it look like one cake from one side and a different cake on the other side. I have no idea how you would do the half cakes! Maybe somebody else can help but I would ask them if you can just decorate the sides differently instead of actually cutting the cake in half.

smbegg Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 8

I think that you could do it, just support as you would a regular tier, and run a dowel through the whole 1/2 of the cake.

I think that would actually be pretty cool. I think that if you can do fondant, it would help support it even better.

pjaycakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 8

My guess would be to bake the cakes as usual, fill and get them just ready to be iced. Then cut each layer in half down the center (You'll have to cut the boards also. Then treat each half like a whole cake and ice each half and decorate. Then dowel support each half and stack then slide the two cakes very close together. You won't be able to use plastic plates between the layers (it would have to be cardboard and no pillars (stacked only).

That is the only way I can think to do it.

Cake_Bliss Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 8

I ahd thought they wanted it one peice and each side decorated in their colors, but they wanted it actually cut in half. I think it will look very cool if I can pull it off. I was thinking if I mount a dow rod in white chocolate it would be pretty sturdy. I am nervous about how to cover it in the fondant.

plbennett_8 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 8

Me... I would consider this 2 separate cakes. I would...

* Bake the layers of all the cakes and cut them in half
* Cut the boards in half
* Treat each "half" of the cake as an individual cake
* Make sure there is a Strong Dam all the way around the "half moon" shaped cakes and fill
* Crumb coat and let each tier settle to make sure that it is not going to crumble on you.
* Cover with fondant, decorate, dowel, and stack
* Run a dowel through the center of each cake

sarahnichole975 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 8

I agree with the other posts. I think you just need to make sure you have a reasonably dense cake like you would if you were carving one. I'd be careful about filling it THEN cutting it, especially if you were using anything but bc, because then you'll have leaky filling to deal with. The fondant will definitely help support it. And with any tiered cake, dowels are important. How big are we talking for the size of the cakes? This will be really cute and makes me wonder about an upcoming cake I have for a boy/girl twin set I do cakes for every year. Post pics so we can see.

Cake_Bliss Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 8

I think I got it now...Thank you so much to everyone for your help. It is going to be square teirs 8", 12" and 16". I am so excited about getting started! Thanks again. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%