Smaller Portion Gum Paste Recipe?

Decorating By ForNikoandAnna Updated 2 May 2008 , 5:37pm by ForNikoandAnna

ForNikoandAnna Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone help me with a recipe for gum paste that is for smaller portions? I want to make a bow and am only finding recipies that will leave me with LOTS of leftovers.

Thank you!

ETA: I see Wilton has a Ready to Use Gum Paste mix that you just add water. Anyone have any opinions on this?

3 replies
ibmoser Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

I have used the powdered gumpaste mix, and it is okay, but I really prefer to make my own or, in a pinch, use the ready-made. Even the Wilton ready-made is pretty good. The powdered just doesn't seem as smooth - probably from the way I knead it (or, more accurately, don't knead it LOL). I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe and love it. You can make a full recipe and freeze what you don't need right now. Just wrap it very well in plastic wrap and vacuum seal it if you have a vacuum sealer. Nic said that he freezes it for up to six months. I just used some that had been in my freezer for 4 months - it was perfect. Or, just make 1/4 of whatever recipe you have and see how it works.

tracey1970 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 4

I use Wilton's ready-made gumpaste (not the powder mix, the stuff that's already made in a package). I like it. It's always worked well for me.

ForNikoandAnna Posted 2 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies. I may just make the big batch and freeze it then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%