First Fondant Wedding Cake...need Help

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:21pm by formerbuckeye

formerbuckeye Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 4

I posted this in the Cake Decorating Forum also. I wanted to get as much feedback as possible.

I need help from all of you fondant/MMF experts out there! I have a June bride who wants the attached cake for her wedding. The only difference is that the cut-out shapes will be in two shades of pink. Since she doesn't like the flavor of fondant, I'm using MMF and flavoring it to match each tier. The tiers will be 14" x 4" white almond sour cream filled with raspberry mousse; 12" x 4" yellow cake filled with chocolate-mocha whipped ganache; and 10" x 4" Grand Marnier cake filled with vanilla bean custard. My questions are: how many batches of MMF will I need, especially since I'm flavoring it differently for each tier. Also, how would I go about figuring out the placement all the way around the cakes for the different shapes? icon_confused.gif I'm not overly comfortable with my fondant skills since I have not done a tiered cake completely covered in fondant (or MMF). Any help, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
smbegg Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 4

Well, a batch of MMF weighs a little over 2 1/2 lbs. (I would make a batch and double check though).

My charts show that you need 13 ounces for a 10 inch (one batch), 22 ounces for a 12 inch (1 batch) and 48 ounces for a 14 inch (2 batches).

Hope that helps.

As for placement, I would just start with the big pieces and fill in from there. If you want a pattern, just start with a tier and replicate.

sugarMomma Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #3 of 4

Here's a link for fondant amounts that someone gave me when I needed to know

formerbuckeye Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much. This really helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%