First Fondant Wedding Cake.....have Questions & Need Ans

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:26pm by formerbuckeye

formerbuckeye Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 4

I need help from all of you fondant/MMF experts out there! I have a June bride who wants the attached cake for her wedding. The only difference is that the cut-out shapes will be in two shades of pink. Since she doesn't like the flavor of fondant, I'm using MMF and flavoring it to match each tier. The tiers will be 14" x 4" white almond sour cream filled with raspberry mousse; 12" x 4" yellow cake filled with chocolate-mocha whipped ganache; and 10" x 4" Grand Marnier cake filled with vanilla bean custard. My questions are: how many batches of MMF will I need, especially since I'm flavoring it differently for each tier. Also, how would I go about figuring out the placement all the way around the cakes for the different shapes? icon_confused.gif I'm not overly comfortable with my fondant skills since I have not done a tiered cake completely covered in fondant (or MMF). Any help, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Sandra
LL

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 4

This is what I would do , but I'm not much for planning, I tend to just wing it!

14"-2 batches

12"- 1 1/2 batches

10"- 1 batch

You might end up with extra but its better too have to much then too little.
I know some people use a matrix that tells them how many pound to use per tier, maybe they would share that with you.

If you do have extra you can use each flavor to do the cutouts with. As far as lining them up they look to be random with no set pattern, so that it another thing I would just wing.

I know I'm not much help, maybe someone else out there can offer you more guidance.
Good Luck!

Beautiful cake by the way!

vdrsolo Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 4

Has she only tried Wilton?? Have you had her try Satin Ice or ChocoPan?? I personally do not have time to make my own fondant, I buy it through Into the Oven at very reasonable prices and shipping.

As for the placement, I would create a templete in Word or maybe a graphics design software. Make up a template of your circumference of your cake ( you will need to adjust your page size before starting). Place graphics (I would just use circles sized to your decorations) in your document. Once you have your dimensions of where you are placing everything, cut a template out of posterboard (width - circumference of cake, height - height of cake) and use a hole punch for the center of each decoration (label above the hole punch what each decoration is). This way you will know exactly where to place your decorations.

formerbuckeye Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help. Someone in another forum did give me a formula and it turned out to be about the same.

[quote="vdrsolo"]Has she only tried Wilton?? Have you had her try Satin Ice or ChocoPan?? I personally do not have time to make my own fondant, I buy it through Into the Oven at very reasonable prices and shipping.]

vdrsolo: Yes, I did have her try Satin Ice. I didn't have any ChocoPan. Both the bride and her mother liked the flavored MMF so that's what I'll go with. I agree, it would be much easier to use pre-made but, in this case, I can't.

Sandra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%