Adding A Box Of Pudding To Cake Mixes?

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 2 May 2008 , 3:30pm by vdrsolo

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:28am
post #1 of 10

Those of you who add a box of pudding to your cake mix, do you think it tends to dry your cakes out? I have to make a 150 cupcakes for a wedding this weekend and I need to make sure my cupcakes stay moist. I was going to try adding pudding to my cake mixes not I'm wondering whether or not I want to. Any suggestions? Thanks.

9 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 10

You also add extra liquids as well.

The basic "fix" is this:

1 box cake mix
1 box pudding mix
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream or buttermilk
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup milk or water

It does make the cakes really moist.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 10

I only add pudding mix to Duncan Hines (does not already contain pudding like Pillsbury and Betty Crocker).

It does not dry it out, it actually makes it more moist and more dense. I personally do not care for Duncan Hines by itself for wedding cakes because it seems like the crumb is too tender, and I do alot of fondant and need a little more density.

Something else that I have noticed is that cake mixes that already contain pudding seem to shrink back a little more than DH with the added pudding.

Just make sure you add an extra egg, I also toss in 3T of buttermilk powder per mix as well, and add some extracts.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 10

I only use Duncan Hines mixes and I always add a box of instant pudding (use the smaller 4 serving size box). It definitely makes it more moist. This is always what I do to "doctor" a standard cake mix:

DH box mix
4 eggs (or 4 eggs whites) - essentially one more than is called for on box
oil or melted butter per box directions
substitute skim milk (or whatever type milk you have on hand) instead of water in amount called for on box directions
box of complimentary flavored dry instant pudding mix

Sometimes I'll also throw in some vanilla or other flavorings/extracts depending on the flavor cake.

Works great for me! HTH

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 10

I often throw in pudding mix in different recipes - a half box if I am not going to add any other wet, like an egg or something. I add some vanilla pudding mix to many of my cookies to give them a bit of extra 'staying power', since the preservative helps them stay fresher.

Now this is no-good for the all natural, pereservative-free baker, but that just ain't me! icon_smile.gif I bake what tastes good and from the looks of my hips, I am clearly not baking anything healthy! But more power to those of you who are....it's easy to make things taste good using butter and real sugar, etc.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:35am
post #6 of 10

Here's a thread with the extended flavors and original WASC cake recipes, as well as all the extender and enhancer recipes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5912626-.html

I like the extender flavors version of the WASC because a full recipe (using DH white cake mixes)yields a tad over 14 cups of batter. Also because the recipe is so dependable and the cake so moist.

HTH

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:23am
post #7 of 10

I also add a box to DH cake mixes using the pound cake recipe on the side of the box. Works every time!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 10

These are great ideas. Do these work for cupcakes or should they be tweeked a little bit. Thanks!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 10

I add 4 eggs, 1/3 c oil and 1 c milk and a pudding mix and they are fantastic. Just made cupcakes with them and they are wonderful. It's from the "poundcake" recipe on the side of the box that was mentioned earlier.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 10

Also, if you go to the Duncan Hines website, and put in "pound cake" in the recipe search, it will bring up alot of recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%