Some Advice Needed :)

Business By deld Updated 1 May 2008 , 1:52pm by JenWhitlock

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #1 of 7

Im not planning to open my business until the end of next year, but I am already getting so many requests for cakes, im not sure what I can and cant do as far as respecting the law, can I make business cards with my personal name on them and a couple of words to state that I make cakes? my friend wants cards for her office. As far as getting paid for the cakes right now how would you do it? cash only? cash and check?
Any advice will be greaty appreciated!!!!!!!
D

6 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:34am
post #2 of 7

oooooo Deld. You're walking a thin line. What state are you in? I am in Texas and home bakers aren't legal. The local Health inspector is husband to my professor/ friend. He told her that as long as I don't advertise and no one files a complaint, (I live in a VERY small community) he'll pretend I don't exist. Whatever you decide think long and hard about it. Only you can decide if the potential consequences are worth the advertising.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:39am
post #3 of 7

As far as respecting the law, if you don't have a legal business then you can't sell cakes. People do sell cakes under the radar, but personally I wouldn't hand out cards or do any formal advertising.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:50am
post #4 of 7

deld,
I'm right there with you in as one of those evil people that are yet legal. I've looked into it and FINALLY found a solution but I won't be able to make it work for a while.
I do have business cards and a brag book that I carry to show people what I do, but I never leave advertising material out. stuff always goes from friend to friend and I know where all my business is coming from.
people have suggested that I advertise, and leave cards all over, but I'm not comfortable with that. I guess it's up to you.
I would still get the business cards though (Vistaprint?). then even if you start off by not charging until you are legal, people are still making the name recognistion.

deld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deld Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:53am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, I really feel uncomfortable handing out cards before I have my legal business, what about renting space in a church and bake from there? can I open my corporation and make orders from the church? since they have a comercial kitchen there it has already been inspected by the state and everything, how would that work? maybe I could rent their space temporarily until I build my own kitchen, do I still need to have it inspected?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 7

You can bake from a church kitchen if you have it inspected. That can be legal, and you can advertise.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 1 May 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 7

That's what I'm going to do.
I have a great church here and we are starting the process, but it is going to take time to get everything set up including working out a time where the church is available and I have someone to watch my kids.

your church can be very flexible. I've heard some stories about cleaning inexchange for time in the kitchen, also I've heard someone get a deal where the fee was a percent income.

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%